Tree trunk/bark color

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Pipwren

Tree trunk/bark color

Post by Pipwren »

Anyone come up with a good base/mix of frit to come up with a realistic tree trunk color? I have tried grey with various brown and or black medium 90 coe frits and a mix of grey/black and also brown frit. I was thinking maybe I should wash some fine powdered black frit across some grey base. This will be for areas of glass where the tree trunk will be quite wide (200mm wide by 1.5meters) hence the need for the color to look realistic. Some of the streaky bullseye has the looks I want but I need to be able to create a continuous pattern across the whole trunk. The trunk itself will probably be opaque.
Vonon

Re: Tree trunk/bark color

Post by Vonon »

I'm trying to find the same thing. I had pretty good results by using BE's white/black/brown streaky as a base, covering that with medium and coarse light amber frit, then sifting powder in streaks of olive, blue, gray. The larger grains going on first provide a peek at the base color and allow the powder to migrate around and form an organic look. The result lent itself more to a look of redwood forest but worked for what I was doing. I have yet to find the mix that looks like your basic oak tree but I intend to follow the plan I outlined but with different color mix. It's that grey/green/brown thing that is strangely elusive. I also want brown confetti for falling leaves but that isn't happening either.
Vonon
Pipwren

Re: Tree trunk/bark color

Post by Pipwren »

Thank you. Will try that. Have tried a base of just grey running uneven cuts along the glass so there are a lot of pieces. Then put them back together with a little gap between pieces and sprinkling black frit in the gaps (letting some fall on the grey glass itself). Then firing that. Looks pretty good but needs a bit more tweaking. Mainly looking at gum tree bark which is more grey than brown.