Bubbles!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Aglassygirl303

Bubbles!

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

The lid element broke on my kiln and while waiting for the new one I thought that I would use the wall elements and continue production. I have bubbles everywhere! Can I re fire and make them go away? I will have my new element in tomorrow.

The piece is 12 x 12" and the glass is Opal 96 coe

I have been fusing for 7 years, this is a normal piece and I used my programed schedule. Did this happen because I used the wall elements?

Thanks, Teri
rosanna gusler

Re: Bubbles!

Post by rosanna gusler »

Yep. Wall elements schedules need to be slower with a more conservative bubble squeeze. I do not know of any practical way to get rid of bubbles. R.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

In a side fire the glass at the edges melts first and seals in the air unless you fire extra slow. Never really worth trying to drill out the bubbles but you can try to flip it
over and refire. It will flatten it somewhat. Add elements to hide any flaws. I hate to throw out good glass!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Aglassygirl303 wrote:The lid element broke on my kiln and while waiting for the new one I thought that I would use the wall elements and continue production. I have bubbles everywhere! Can I re fire and make them go away? I will have my new element in tomorrow.
I fire exclusively with side elements in one of my kilns. The key is to go slower and to make sure you use a bubble soak at 1240F or so for at least half an hour. My basic schedule for a two layer piece would be something like

300F dph to 1100F hold 10 minutes
200F dph to 1240F hold 30 minutes
200F dph to fusing temp hold 10 minutes
9999 to annealing temp for your glass hold one hour
100dph to 750 kiln off
lbailey

Post by lbailey »

Brad, is the slower 200 dph rate to fusing temp part of the bubble soak or the side element solution? Would you recommend that for a kiln with both top and side elements running? I normally go AFAP from 1250 to fusing temp to minimize devit....

Thanks
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Interesting Brad that you can go 200 to 1240 that fast in your side fire. in mine I have to go 50 from 1100- to 1250 and hold to make them totally smooth…..
Laurie Spray

Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Laurie Spray wrote:Interesting Brad that you can go 200 to 1240 that fast in your side fire. in mine I have to go 50 from 1100- to 1250 and hold to make them totally smooth…..
My Skutt GM1414 has both top and side elements (that cannot be controlled separately). I fire as Laurie suggests -- 50 deg ramp from 1100 to 1250. I typically hold an hour and then ramp "normally" to the top temp.

Not that I can even begin to have the experience Brad does, but it's what works for me, in my kiln :).

Dana W.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Do you want just the bumps to go away as it is opaque?, or do you want to rid the piece of bubbles? Laurie's tip to flip and fire is a good one to get it flat but you'll need to take care not to introduce contaminates into open craters if there are any. I'd do it on ceramic fibre that has been prefired and flattened later with a bottle and boxed in with a tight dam so that design doesn't drift. But if it did drift you might start to question where this could go. If the intention is to rid the mass of bubbles you'll have to do the same as before at a higher temp of around 1600deg F and monitor the surface for exiting bubbles, this takes patience. After this you will discover what happens to that glass at that heat for an extended time, good luck. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Just to clarify….I was not suggesting to drill, then flip and fire. I think that would not be very successful. I was suggesting just flipping it as it to possibly have it flatten out enough to us. better to hang it on the wall next to your control box to remind you about firing schedules! :)
Laurie Spray

Aglassygirl303

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

Thank you everyone for your help. I finally got the new element in the lid, although now when I turn it on, the GFI is tripping. Any ideas why? Ugh