easiest casting method for small 3-D objects?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Cheryl

easiest casting method for small 3-D objects?

Post by Cheryl »

I should just email Tim Tate and ask him, I suppose, but I am wanting to cast small (think toy soldier, domino, that's about the right size) objects. I have zero experience with casting other than in open face molds. Would love to know the best way to make a model and then cast it. Small words please! :)
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Soozin

Re: easiest casting method for small 3-D objects?

Post by Soozin »

1. make model out of wax - toy solder... with legs or not. I can't draw on here.
2. You can add extra wax to the legs (about 2 cm) to form a small reservoir (if you like)
3. Place the 3D object on your moulding table
4. Make up your investment
5. hand build first layer, and then add another or use the pour method - if hand building, level the mould (means you place a bit of investment on top of your mould as you are buiding up the layers.. think of an icecream in a cone... when you have made the last layer (2-3 cm thick investment), place a piece of sandblasted glass on the top (the extra investment) and level the mould by using a spirit level. (ensure you are working on a level table first of all though)
6. Once mould has set hard, steam out wax
7. Place mould in kiln
8. Weigh or measure glass, wash glass, etc.
9. Use a small flower pot to put your glass in.
10. Using some kiln props or cut up brick shelves and stand the wee shelves on top of the mould - you will need two bits of shelves an lay them on the top of the mould ensuring that the flower pot will sit properly and that the hole of the pot isn't touching the shelf.

Note in the image I've loaded, see the apple? See the reservoir? That's what I'm talking about above. Hope this helps.

11. Place flower pot on the shelves
12. Cast.

Once fired and demoulded, you can cut of the extra glass if you have any. I might recommend that once your soldier is made in wax, you weight that first to get the amount of glass required. But if you want the 'extra' wax to be part of your model, then weigh that too.

13. Break open mould.
14. Cut the sprue bit off

And then coldwork accordingly.

Hope this makes sense.. have a look at this image to give you a better idea of what I'm trying to say.