Kiln cement for chipped brick

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jeanne

Kiln cement for chipped brick

Post by Jeanne »

I bought a used kiln and it had a fair amount of chips along the edge of the lid and the body from the previous owner propping it open. I decided to skim a thin layer of furnace cement over the bricks to keep them from flaking. The layer started lifting and peeling as it dried, taking brick chunks with it. I peeled it off and used Paragon cement. Same thing happened. Any thoughts on why this is happening? I had done this once on another kiln without any problems.
charlie

Re: Kiln cement for chipped brick

Post by charlie »

what harm does leaving the chips do?
Arnold Howard

Re: Kiln cement for chipped brick

Post by Arnold Howard »

Jeanne wrote:I bought a used kiln and it had a fair amount of chips along the edge of the lid and the body from the previous owner propping it open. I decided to skim a thin layer of furnace cement over the bricks to keep them from flaking. The layer started lifting and peeling as it dried, taking brick chunks with it. I peeled it off and used Paragon cement. Same thing happened. Any thoughts on why this is happening? I had done this once on another kiln without any problems.
The coating must be very thin, or it will form a network of small cracks that flake off. You can apply the coating with a rag or sponge.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com