Firepolish after slump?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

smallbitz

Firepolish after slump?

Post by smallbitz »

I want to make some small coldworking changes to a piece that I have already slumped. I know it's not the best idea to slump and firepolish in the same firing, but what about firepolishing after I've already slumped? Okay to do it if I put it back in the mold?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Firepolish after slump?

Post by Brad Walker »

What's the shape of the mold?
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

It's a rather organic, wavy piece. About 2 1/2" deep rectangle - no lip, like a flag that will be put on edge to be displayed horizontally on a table on a stand. 6mm thick.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

It's fine to firepolish and slump in the same schedule if the work supports it. Since you'll be going hotter and probably longer than a standard slump, that's the real question.

If the glass can continue sliding down the mold so that it begins to puddle on the bottom, then it's a bad idea because your the glass will deform. If the mold is relatively flat, or in some way stops additional slumping from happening, then it's OK. I do that kind of slump/firepolish a lot.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

Thanks. I don't think reshaping will be a problem in this mold. I'm going to give it a try and just keep my eye on it!
Jeanice

Post by Jeanice »

Let us know how it goes. And maybe a photo?
Jeanice
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

The firepolish/slump worked great. I did watch it carefully. I can see how it would NOT work in a steep bowl mold or some other shapes. It really does depend on the mold. Tried to upload a photo, but I can't seem to get it to upload. Never used to have trouble with that...