Lost power

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Aglassygirl303

Lost power

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

My kiln lost power at 1000 degrees, just prior to the annealing of 960. :( Got it back and the controller was now at 845, it is headed up still and going past 1000. Will it go all the way back to what it was and just cycle back through. Should I just leave it alone and will my bowl be okay? I have a beautiful 15" bowl in there, a commissioned piece. Or should I assume that it is ruined because it missed the long annealing period
Bert Weiss

Re: Lost power

Post by Bert Weiss »

Once the glass is reheated to anneal soak temperature, all stress is relieved and you just need to anneal. So, all you have to worry about is reheating the glass from where it sits to in the anneal zone without heat shocking it.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Aglassygirl303

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

Thank you Bert, I am really anxious to see if it is ok. I had to leave for a while and got your response too late. This controller just took it back up to slumping at 1240 and came on back down as if it never lost power. It is down to 300 now. I only hope for the best. I have had to re slump pieces before and they were fine so here is hoping it is ok. If not then Ill be bummed. Start again.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I just lost power at 900ºF on the way up for a slump firing of Bullseye glass. Power was out for 3 hours. When it came back on the glass was sitting around 400. I altered the program to start from 400 and go up at the same rate as originally programmed. I will cross my fingers and hope that nothing cracked. I heard no pings while I was restarting it. Once it goes above the strain point, slumps, and anneals, everything will be fine.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Aglassygirl303

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

Well...my kiln went all the way back through the cycle and back down, the bowl came out perfect.