Irid Food Safe?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

lbailey

Irid Food Safe?

Post by lbailey »

Are fused glass items with the Irid side up food safe?

I suspect that energetic use of tableware will mar the finish and probably lifts bits of the irid coating to add "flavor" to the food.......?

How about for use with food but no tableware touching, like a dish for hard candy?

Thanks
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Irid Food Safe?

Post by Brad Walker »

Bullseye irid is food safe. Not sure about other brands, there are several different ways to apply the irid coating.

It's pretty hard to remove the irid coating with a knife and fork.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I tell customers to use their fused glass like they'd use fine china dinnerware, which means no knives. I'm always stunned when someone purchases one of my pieces and plans to eat off it though, since I can't imagine spending a few hundred bucks on a piece and then plopping a steak on it, but hey, once they've paid I guess it's theirs to do what they want.
lbailey

Post by lbailey »

Thanks guys, good to know.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Valerie, I feel the same way when someone asks me if they can put a piece in the dishwasher.

Really? You're going to pay THAT much for a bowl and then put it in the dishwasher??

Dana W.
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Greg
Judd

Post by Judd »

I tell my customers, yes it's dishwasher safe but I would never put it in the dishwasher.
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

Yes it can go into the dishwasher but do you normally put art into the dishwasher? Then if that doesn't work I tell them that when you put things in the dishwasher all your plates are the same and so when they move around they do it in unison - if you have an shape that doesn't match all the other plates it could be the full weight swing right at your art piece. After this I give up..... #-o
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
nbobb

Post by nbobb »

I have a Pyrex measuring cup that I've had for years. It became crazed in the dishwasher because some soaps are very abrasive. If I took a sandblaster to an iridized plate that was already fused, I could blow off the irid and I think, over time, the dishwasher could do the same thing.
Nancy Bobb
Firewalker Studio
http://www.firewalkerstudio.com
lbailey

Post by lbailey »

Yeah, I tell customers that the plates/bowls are food safe but not for the microwave or dishwasher, hand wash only. I suspect most pieces would survive on the top rack but hey, if you can't hand wash something unique then you don't need to buy it......