Customers Asking for Discounts

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

tgotch

Customers Asking for Discounts

Post by tgotch »

I did a show recently, where it felt like 1 in 3 people asked for some kind of discount. I will usually give a discount for quantity purchases (if they ask), but most everyone at this show was buying one item, and asking. I was not giving these people discounts, but by the end of the day I was worn out from saying "no," and a bit disappointed in the amount of requests.

I as wondering if anyone has any wise/funny/creative ways for declining discounts or avoiding haggling.
Bert Weiss

Re: Customers Asking for Discounts

Post by Bert Weiss »

Every marketplace is different. In some nobody will buy unless your product is expensive and gives them prestige. In others it is all about getting a bargain. Perhaps you can raise your prices so when you say yes to the discount, it feels good to them?
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

tgotch wrote:I as wondering if anyone has any wise/funny/creative ways for declining discounts or avoiding haggling.
Don't know if this is wise, funny, or creative, but it might help: Post a sign that says "Buy 2, get 10% off!". That tells people your discount policy and might also encourage more sales.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Do you cover sales taxes? (I do -- it just makes the math easier)

If so, remind them you are covering the state sales tax in the price of the piece. Not funny or creative, but usually true at festivals. Maybe it could be spun into something funny -- "I'm covering your tax so the state doesn't audit you next year!"

Dana
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

I just say that I'm an hones person and I don't play games with fluctuating prices. Plus most of my work is one of a kind. I find it totally confusing to have one set of price and selling for another. The most I will do is I have certain items already marked 1 for 30 or 2 for 55.00. Or I may pay tax on a purchase over 500.00. I just can'thave too many rules running around. I am not a flea market...
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I use a line I heard years ago (I thought it was attributed to Marty):

Usually the question comes near the end of the show, so I reply, "No thanks, it's not produce." Then I'll add that I've got galleries clamoring for new work, or another show coming up soon, etc.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Not exactly the same thing as I don't make pieces on spec. to sell, but once, after I quoted a project, a client asked me if I could do it for a lower price. I replied that if I could do it for less that would mean I'd tried to rip him off in the first place. He looked stunned, then laughed heartily and agreed. Jen
Marty

Post by Marty »

You've got to gauge your customer- some may not get Jen's line and just leave. I do like Valerie's tack, that "I have galleries waiting to get their hands on this piece, do you want it or not (or better, How would you like to pay for this)?"
The produce line was mine and was used on an obnoxious bargain seeker who wanted to pay half price at the end of the show. I told him that it wasn't going to spoil like produce at the end of the day. What I really wanted to tell him was that I'd rather have taken it out to the parking lot and smashed it than given it to him at a discount.

If we raise our prices 10% to offer the 10% discount (sometimes codified as the "glass collectors' discount"- we have the galleries to thank for that!), what do we do for the really nice customers who see the piece and say "I'll take it!" without asking for a break? Do we just accept the inflated price or do we explain that we're giving them a courtesy nice-guy 10% off because they didn't ask? That last option opens many cans of worms but the first, though easy, seems immoral. What do you-all think?

I did have a conversation with a customer once about this- he said he wanted a "deal", even if he knew it was illusory. I raised the price in front of him and then offered the discount. We had a good laugh and he and his wife walked away. But she wanted the piece so he came back and reluctantly paid my original price. After they left I raised prices 10%.
I hate doing shows.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

The value of a piece has little to do with time and materials. It is all about WoW. Actually it's value is exactly what somebody is willing to pay for it. The price you ask is a suggestion of it's value to you. As designers it is our task to design work that will sell for an amount worth having made it. There will always be people whose pocketbook can not afford to pay what you want for it. At a show, you have to decide what benefits you more, going home with the work or less money than you planned. Always a tough one.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Marty wrote:You've got to gauge your customer- some may not get Jen's line and just leave.
As I noted, it's not exactly the same thing as I'm referring to commissioned work. When presenting a written proposal (no drawings) to a client who might have been vague about the allocated budget and it turns out to be above the budget the client can be offered something different that will suit the budget, never the same design and execution for less money.

I like the 'produce' analogy. Trying to imagine being left with a table full of rotting glass at the end of the day. :) Jen
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Marty wrote:...If we raise our prices 10% to offer the 10% discount (sometimes codified as the "glass collectors' discount"- we have the galleries to thank for that!), what do we do for the really nice customers who see the piece and say "I'll take it!" without asking for a break? Do we just accept the inflated price or do we explain that we're giving them a courtesy nice-guy 10% off because they didn't ask? That last option opens many cans of worms but the first, though easy, seems immoral. What do you-all think? ...
I hate doing shows.
I love talking to people at shows; what I dislike is that good conversations don't count as success.

Speaking from the collector side, I've had a couple of galleries offer me discounts out of the blue, usually right before I write the check. It's always gratifying and much appreciated, but tends to make me wonder if I'm being cheated by the places that don't. Which is sad.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i always just say ' no. i can not under cut my galleries. ' period. on the other hand i usually sort of give a piece away at each show. usually to a young person who is obviously yearning for a piece but does not have the cash and does not ask for a discount. i will sell for half just to make both of us feel good. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

heh. had a couple come in to the kdh co op the otherday while i was doing my desk shift. he was pushy and wanted to know just what sort of discounts we offered. i said none. did not say sorry or anything other than 'none'. well that flummoxed him as he had some sort of further schpiel prepared that needed more of a response from me. he then asked what my medium was. told him. he then tried to haggle me on some of my stuff. i just said no. no discussion. well that made him mad so he left. his wife then proceeded to shop and buy. she said she enjoyed seeing him get non starting answers. some people are just gamers. screw them. r.
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

Personally, I cannot imagine asking for a discount. I assume that the price was thought through. Why would I want to insult anyone? I think having a sign saying "Buy 2, get 10% off" is good, but of course it doesn't apply to commissioned work, unless the customer is thinking of two pieces, in which case you can offer them something. Bottom line, treat each other with respect.
Kate Saunders

Post by Kate Saunders »

There's a flip side to this. Occasionally I'll give someone a discount when I'm writing up their receipt if they buy from me regularily, or buy a large amount at one time. I've actually had a few people reject my offer of a discount, saying that the work is worth the price I'd asked for. Honest. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened. Love those people.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

my answer....
i will be glad to double the price and then give you a 50% discount! A big smile with it, they laugh and then buy. Some people just feel they need to ask.....
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
dee

Post by dee »

GO ROSANNA!!!! and his wife bought which is totally bloody awesome!!!!!!
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I don't take it personally. If I'm in the mood to haggle, I might. It depends on a number of things; my mood; the specific piece they're interested in; "how" they ask; etc.

There should always "room to haggle" built in to retail prices. We are haggling over the "gravy" right? I know it's much easier to produce my work than it is to sell it. It's much easier to wrap it up and hand to a "cash & carry" customer than it is double box and ship off, for wholesale.

(I'm not talking about the low end items.)
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

ii will discount my stuff to someone who obviously wants it but just can not afford it. someone wearing 400.00 shoes. no. r.
Judd

Post by Judd »

It depends. If the person is nice and I enjoyed talking to him/her, I'll discount 20% if asked. If they're an ass, no discount.