Textured Molds by Creative Paradise

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Aglassygirl303

Textured Molds by Creative Paradise

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

Has anyone tried the new Creative Paradise Textured Molds? I have and have a bit of frustration...My first two attempts are so perfect. They both sold the first day at my Co Op Gallery. They are gorgeous! I used the 9 x 5" Baroque Floral mold first. I used their suggested fusing and slumping schedule. I used two layers of transparent 96 glass. On layer was color and the other clear. So perfect.

But then I used the Tree of Life 12" sq, square. I used 96 Charcoal with a clear. Used the same schedule. Heartbreaking, the piece ended up with large bubbles at the bottom, they burst. It appeared that there was an overflow of glass over the side of the mold. So I tried again, cutting the glass 1/4" smaller all the way around...still bubbles all over!

Anyone trying these new molds? Any advice? I have never had large bubbles on anything, been fusing 96 coe for 8 years, same kiln, just never had these. Heard of them. What causes this?

Help
Aglassygirl303

Re: Textured Molds by Creative Paradise

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

What do you think about cutting the bottom layer into strips, say 3" strips, then laying them onto the mold with zero space between and then placing the top colored transparent piece on to and firing....

The suggested schedule from Creative Paradise and Delphi is as follows

300 dph to 1250 hold 20
300 dph to 1460 hold 10
999 to 960 (Spectrum 96 typical aneal) hold for 90
300 to 850 hold 0
999 to 100
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Fuse your two blanks together first on a kiln shelf, and then fire a second time on the mold.

Dana W.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Aglassygirl303 wrote:What do you think about cutting the bottom layer into strips, say 3" strips, then laying them onto the mold with zero space between and then placing the top colored transparent piece on to and firing...
That would likely be a nice recipe for more bubbles :mrgreen:

Dana W.
Aglassygirl303

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

Well according to Bullseye tutorials they highly suggested that strip technique. I have never used bullseye myself, always been a Spectrum 96 fuser. But feeling a bit desperate I looked everywhere for suggestions. I have now lost to 12" Tree of Life pieces due to large bubbles. I have not ever had these large bubbles in any work over 8 years. I am frustrated. Little bubbles recently, but I bought a load of glass at a discount and now I have examined it and all of it has little pits in it so hence the "pimple bubbles" But these are huge.

These Creative Paradise molds are not drilled. I am wondering if I should put 3 or 4 small holes in the mold.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

do like dana says. fuse your blank on a kiln shelf then texture with that mold. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bubbles happen when the glass is soft enough to expand in to a bubble, and trapped air expands pushing the glass to bubble. So, you can either lower the temperature of the glass, or provide a pathway out for the expanding air. On a flat (or not exactly flat) shelf, you can place a sheet of refractory paper, which allows the air to escape. On a kilnwashed shelf, you may have to drill holes.

The 2 firing strategy gives you more control, as you could use paper on the hot firing, and keep the texturing firing cooler. On the other hand, you might get away with some strategic holes and a single firing.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Aglassygirl303 wrote: I have now lost to 12" Tree of Life pieces due to large bubbles.
Some of the Creative Paradise molds are more prone to bubbles than others. I have several of their texture molds. I have good results with the koi, butterflies, ferns, and dragonflies in a single firing. If you look at these, the amount of raised area is minimal compared to the non-textured surface. However, with their more heavily textured molds like the tree-of-life, the greenman, and the art nouveau, you have a lot of raised areas in relatively small spaces. It is prime real estate for trapping bubbles.

So... as suggested, fire you blank first and then fire on the texture plate. (or not... keep trying to strip cut or whatever, and keep getting bubbles! :mrgreen: )

Dana W.
lbailey

Post by lbailey »

Just used this same Tree of Life mold, first attempt came out pretty well. Headed to a sibling as a house warming gift.

First fused the 2 layers into a blank using a bubble squeeze, normal, very fine bubbles but no issues. Then the fuse on the textured tile, then a slump. Schedules are probably more conservative than needed but hey, it's not a race.....right?

Fuse for 2 layer blank, 12x12 each of Tekta (base), BE 1417 Emerald Green (top):
Rate Temp Hold
200F 1000F 10 min
50F 1250F 60 min
AFAP 1480F 10 min (15 min for texture fuse)
AFAP 900F 90 min
100F 700F 0 (to room temp)

Same schedule as above for the TOL texture fuse, except added 5 min at 1480F to pick up all texture. Used 3 light coats of MR-97 on the mold. I like this for texture molds for better overall detail and smoothness. The squeeze may not be needed but I thought that this particular texture mold might trap some bubbles since it's one 12x12 blank and the pattern has a lot going on. (ie, the hole in the trunk of the tree, etc)

Then a regular slump in a 12x12 BE square plate mold. Return to start, process as before......
Aglassygirl303

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

Success. Drilled 5 small holes in the mold and only heated to 1425. Used System 96. Two layers and did not fuse together first. I used 1" kiln furniture to prop the textured mold up off the floor. Fused at approx 275 dph There are tiny little bubbles in between the leaves and branches but they are pretty even and look intentional and cool. Slumping now. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. This was going to be the death of me had I lost another piece.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

"Insanity: Repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results"

(attributed to various people, including Albert Einstein)

:mrgreen: Dana