Need some quick dessert dishes!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Valerie Adams

Need some quick dessert dishes!

Post by Valerie Adams »

I need to quickly make 16 dessert dishes for a party. I'd like to do a simple mica design on float, in a 6" square size.
Can I fire the mica, polish the edges, and slump single layer (3mm) dishes in one firing? (That's not asking much, is it?)

And if so, can anyone offer a rough schedule? I'd probably use my Skutt GL1414. Thanks!
Bert Weiss

Re: Need some quick dessert dishes!

Post by Bert Weiss »

Valerie

Mica doesn't sink in to float like it does with Bullseye. I mix micas with either clear flux or onglaze colors. The good news is that you can fire float/flux (or onglaze colors) with mica side down. 10 117 is a low lead flux designed for use on dinnerware. I fire it to anywhere between 1420 and 1480. You can do a slump to 1420 with no distortion beyond the shape of the mold. I do this routinely with bowl forms. Mica of course does not stretch with the glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Valerie Adams

Re: Need some quick dessert dishes!

Post by Valerie Adams »

Thanks Bert. I think I'll just go with Tekta, since I'm sitting on an oversized case!