ideas: cleaning glass & marking molds

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

barclayb

ideas: cleaning glass & marking molds

Post by barclayb »

Someone has probably either thought of these things & posted or has a reason not to do them :)

After trying glass cleaner and alcohol to clean glass, I had an "aha" moment and started using vinegar. (I think someone here suggested soaking glass in it to get the kiln wash out; one thing led to another ...) It works great! Duh, it's what people rinse crystal in to make it pretty and de-smudged.

There are sometimes a few stubborn little divits of kiln wash on the underside of a flat piece; I've been using a dental pick to chip the kiln wash out (especially if I'm going to slump anyway).

To stop having to measure a mold every time I use it (my memory being like a sponge that's been wrung out), I've started using Glassline paint to mark the size on it. Once the mold is fired, the markings seem to be permanent. [Am I wrong about that?]
from the whimsical and peripatetic world of
Barclay Elizabeth Blanchard
(pronounced Barkley)
servant of cats
David Jenkins

Re: ideas: cleaning glass & marking molds

Post by David Jenkins »

Good start to a "Glass Hacks" thread - thanks!
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I like to mark my molds also. I do it with a ceramic pencil (does not burn off) under the lip. I position them on the shelf so that I can read the size without picking them up. I stack my mold gently so this saves alot of time.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Glassline paints,etc. - mark the weight of fill on all casting molds. :wink:
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.