Fiberboard molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Joe Wokovich

Fiberboard molds

Post by Joe Wokovich »

I have a customer that wants a long, shallow, and rectangular plant vase.
It needs to be about 42 inches long and no wider than 8 inches in width for the base. I have plenty of kiln room for this and I will be using 3/16 ths float glass.

My stumbling block is in making a support for this vase with no seam marks from support shelves.I have scrounged around and found some 2 inch thick fiberboard from some long forgotten source.
It is plenty long (like 60 inches) and almost 2 feet wide. I can cut this down for a nice seamless support and kiln wash it, but I am wondering if 2 inches is too thick to use. I guess I am wondering about how much heat will be absorbed by the fiberboard. I will be slumping over the fiberboard and think I should be able to pull a six or seven inch drape for the sides.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks
Joe
“If you tell me, I will forget.
If you show me, I will remember.
If you let me do it, I will understand."

And then tomorrow I can start all over again
Marian

Re: Fiberboard molds

Post by Marian »

Fiberboard makes a fine drape mold. Are you concerned about adjusting the ramp up? Your regular schedule for slumping float should work the same. The board insulates but it will be on the bottom.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

glass too thin
Joe Wokovich

Post by Joe Wokovich »

Kevin Midgley wrote:glass too thin
Thanks Kevin, I gave the wrong thickness, I'm thinking about 1/4 inch. Still too thin?

Joe Wokovich

Post by Joe Wokovich »

Marian wrote:Fiberboard makes a fine drape mold. Are you concerned about adjusting the ramp up? Your regular schedule for slumping float should work the same. The board insulates but it will be on the bottom.
Thanks Marian, I've never fired over a mold this thick and was wondering before I did it. The only other thing I plan on is to put fiber paper around the edges of the fiberboard to make sure I can get the fiberboard out of the finished piece.

Joe

rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

1/4" should be fine since you are draping over. Cut a piece of cloth (like a sheet or towel) the size of the glass you will use and let that drape over your mold to get an idea of what the finished product will look like. R.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

You should be able to purchase 1: x 24" x 48" fiber board. You can cut strips to put under the main board to define the edges.

I am a big fan of 10mm float glass vs 6mm. I can generally work it at lower temperatures which yields cleaner results. The strength and mass are better. BTW, when you bend the edges like that, it strengthens the glass. Be sure to put the tin side down. Otherwise you will get a rough inside surface.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Joe Wokovich wrote:The only other thing I plan on is to put fiber paper around the edges of the fiberboard to make sure I can get the fiberboard out of the finished piece. Joe
The fiber paper may not be sufficiently thick to allow the mold to release from the glass; my experience is with tested glass rather than float glass at 1225F which probably allows the glass to fall more however. I drape using fiber paper over ceramaguard fully expecting to break up the mold to remove it from the finished project. What will be the effect of the greater mass created in the corners of square projects? Rounding the corners may help if this becomes an issue. Sounds like a practice piece or two are in order. Look forward to reading what is successful with your project.
Jerry
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

rosanna gusler wrote:1/4" should be fine since you are draping over. Cut a piece of cloth (like a sheet or towel) the size of the glass you will use and let that drape over your mold to get an idea of what the finished product will look like. R.
What a great tip. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who thanks you for this one!
Jerry
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

With any mold material, the glass, the mold material, and the mold shape must be conformed to be compatible. When you are done, you want the glass to be intact and removable from the mold. Every material has a COE, that is relative to that of the glass. For the most part, if you encounter a problem, you can change at least one of those factors to get a successful mold.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions