jewelry pricing

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

rosanna gusler

jewelry pricing

Post by rosanna gusler »

Why do jewlers think hiding the prices in a jewelry case is good? I think that kills a lot of impulse sales. As in "ooo pretty. I can afford that. " People have a certain amount to spend. Asking a clerk to open the case in order to know what the price is seems like more of an obstacle to sales than an inducement. Opinions? R.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Judd

Re: jewelry pricing

Post by Judd »

I don't use a case, but I do have the price under the pendant or set. If they touch it, there is a feeling of ownership.
I have a friend who is a jeweler. A case has improved his sales because the consumer assumes something in a case is of more value than something lying on a table.
Marty

Post by Marty »

When I was doing shows (not with jewelry) I went back and forth on that. Hiding the price can encourage further involvement and give the seller an opening but it can direct attention to the cost too soon, rather than to the beauty/utility/desirability/etc. first. In the end I felt that having the prices visible somewhat qualified the more serious (ie., the ones who could afford the stuff) lookers.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

cool. thanks more please. i am also asking on facebook. 100% so far want to see the price. most say they do not want to bother a clerk just to find out the price. i am asking this because of a conversation going on at the kdh co-op about that. i know that i want to be able to see prices. r.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Come on folks. You do not have to be a jewler to share an opinion here. Help me out in my very scientific info gathering here please.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I find at shows there are some (potential) customers who are afraid to even enter the booth space. I make sure every item I offer is priced so they can see it without asking, much for the same reason Marty mentioned. That way, if they can't afford my work, I don't have to do any song and dance around price with them.

When I shop, I'd also rather see the price so I can decide if the product fits my budget before I become too enthralled with it.
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

some higher end jewelry stores put a small,1/4" high sign in very legible black and white in front of or next to the items. Even if it's $5000 or $20. Label it with price, but do it very tastefully, not handwritten on a hand tag or a sticker. add some class to it and make it easily read.
seachange

Post by seachange »

Valerie Adams wrote:I find at shows there are some (potential) customers who are afraid to even enter the booth space. I make sure every item I offer is priced so they can see it without asking, much for the same reason Marty mentioned. That way, if they can't afford my work, I don't have to do any song and dance around price with them.

When I shop, I'd also rather see the price so I can decide if the product fits my budget before I become too enthralled with it.
Hi Rosanna

Exactly my thoughts and actions, I sell a lot of jewellery. Also think that if prices are not visible, customers might automatically assume that the pieces are very expensive.

I always have some other items that look intricate, or difficult, that pique the customer's curiosity, the "how do you that". They are the "conversation starters", does not matter if they are not the best sellers.

Regarding cases, those with doors are, for me, a real impediment to sales. I always invite customer to feel free to lift the item and appreciate how the light creates interesting reflections and color changes. Like Judd says, touching the item creates a feeling of ownership.

Should qualify the use of cases. My jewelery items range from $ 30 to 150, with a few higher end pieces in the 360 to 390 range. I use sterling silver.

If my pieces were made with gold, I would probably have to consider a case with a door.

Bowls and platters are a secondary line for me, but I always see that people like to touch them.

Hope this helps you with your information gathering project.

Cheers, seachange
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

When we did shows we priced the items "in the proximity" of the item. i.e. on a neck form we would have the price next to the item. We never had the price on the item itself where the customer could see it. The psychology of having the price visible on the item is that it took a commitment by the customer to pick up the $XXX.00 item.If the price was nearby, it seems the commitment is lessened.
I spent 35 years in medium priced retail and that question was consistently asked. It seems the answer was "it depends".
1)on the price of the item.
2) on the sized of the item
3) on the display utilized.

Barry
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Good info. This is in a gallery. We have 6 different jewelry cases in 2 rooms prices from 20.00 to 2000.00. +. More please. R.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Because jewelry isn't my primary product, I neglected to mention that my earrings and pendants aren't marked individually. They're displayed together with a legible sign that lists price and a little pertinent info.
Drewcilla

Post by Drewcilla »

I, too, want to see the price of an item. I'm slow to decide sometimes and don't want a salesperson standing there or chatting me up. I've long admired the jewelry in the Walt Disney Concert Hall store. Their jewelry (in cases) is generally priced from about $75 up but there's a tag hanging next to the piece so that one knows the price. I always look and have bought some. If the price was not visible, I wouldn't even ask. I think it's a personality matter but that's the way I am.

They do have less expensive pieces on other displays and, of course, they're marked as well.

Drewcilla
Drewcilla

Post by Drewcilla »

I, too, want to see the price of an item. I'm slow to decide sometimes and don't want a salesperson standing there or chatting me up. I've long admired the jewelry in the Walt Disney Concert Hall store. Their jewelry (in cases) is generally priced from about $75 up but there's a tag hanging next to the piece so that one knows the price. I always look and have bought some. If the price was not visible, I wouldn't even ask. I think it's a personality matter but that's the way I am.

They do have less expensive pieces on other displays and, of course, they're marked as well.

Drewcilla
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

If I can't see the price of an item, I have a greater tendency to develop an immediate fondness and desire for it because I'm not considering, at that early moment, that I can't afford it. I forget that I should use my disposable income elsewhere. If touch it, I become warm with a sense of ownership and I tend to buy items that I would not otherwise.

So show the price. Don't take advantage of me because I'm an idiot.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

This is from public radio recently (last week?):

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/09/ ... price-tags

Dana W.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

JestersBaubles wrote:This is from public radio recently (last week?):

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/09/ ... price-tags

Dana W.