Intro, tight budget beginner

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Suzette A

Intro, tight budget beginner

Post by Suzette A »

Hello everyone,

Ive been working with metal clay for a while but I would like to try my hand at glass working. I have a firefly kiln with digital controler (and window). A few hand tools such as files, dremmel, wet dry paper and kiln wash but not much else.

What I would like to do is start with some simple fusing and slumping projects like small dishes, tiles, night lights. But I am on a very tight budget.

I would like some recommendations for must have tools (and best place to buy). And if possible, can someone supply links to free projects?

Because my budget is so tight Ive been thinking about using recycled glass. I have been perusing various web sites reading up on this. Do you use recycled glass? Can you explain your feelings about using recycled glass? pros and cons?

Finally, I have questions about safety. Ive been using my kiln in a spare bedroom as there really isnt a better option. Ive not been happy with my set up as the room is carpeted and the table I have for my kiln is not the most stable. Would placing cement backer board under the kiln offer adequate protection? Also, I am short, 5 feet tall, and I have had a hard time finding a kiln stand that is low enough. Would cinder bricks work to raise the kiln sufficiently and safely? Safety is one the biggest reasons I havent used my kiln in a while!

Thanks your comments and help!
DonMcClennen

Re: Intro, tight budget beginner

Post by DonMcClennen »

I'm sure your home insurance would not cover a fire caused by a kiln in a room with "carpet". Melting glass in this situation is just to risky to be worthwhile. The amount of time it takes to properly heat, anneal then cool glass, will make leaving the kiln unattended inevitable ..Sticking contacts, and other possible happenings would make this set-up an invitation to trouble. I would advise against it!
"The Glassman"
Judd

Post by Judd »

Uh... yeah.
1) Firing on carpet is a bad idea, and cement backer board will not be enough. Rip out the carpet or fire somewhere else.
2) I love recycled glass. Get window glass and some low-fire glazes (like the stuff they sell at the Glaze-It-Yourself pottery shops) and start experimenting.
3) Once you have a suitable floor (like concrete), then setting the kiln on cinder block should be fine.

How big is your kiln? Because you said you fired metal clay, I just assumed it's very small. If that's the case, then you can always make jewelry.
Judd

Post by Judd »

Uh... yeah.
1) Firing on carpet is a bad idea, and cement backer board will not be enough. Rip out the carpet or fire somewhere else.
2) I love recycled glass. Get window glass and some low-fire glazes (like the stuff they sell at the Glaze-It-Yourself pottery shops) and start experimenting.
3) Once you have a suitable floor (like concrete), then setting the kiln on cinder block should be fine.

How big is your kiln? Because you said you fired metal clay, I just assumed it's very small. If that's the case, then you can always make jewelry.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Judd wrote:Uh... yeah.

the Firefly kiln takes a 7" shelf.
Suzette A

Post by Suzette A »

ok I get the message! :lol:

No carpet. Ill find another place for my kiln.

What about using found objects for molds/ forms? How about rocks?
Im eager to get started!
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

There is a great tutorial on this site. Start there. Brad walkers books(also available here) are great as well. Welcome to the addiction. R.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Judd

Post by Judd »

Not rocks. They could crack/pop in the kiln.
If you want a found mold, find bisqued pottery, terracotta pots or stainless steel bowls. Anything else may melt, warp, crack, etc.