Cleaning 'abandoned' strips

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Buttercup

Cleaning 'abandoned' strips

Post by Buttercup »

About 18 mos. ago I cut several 3/8” strips for a project, dutifully submerging them in a lidded water container as they were cut. They were put aside, the water evaporated and they are now crusty. Will scrubbing them in vinegar and water be sufficient, or should I sandblast them or otherwise treat them to avoid devit?
Thanks, Jen
The Hobbyist

Re: Cleaning 'abandoned' strips

Post by The Hobbyist »

How did you cut them? With a saw or score and break?

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Score and break, Jim.
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Just soak in some water with a little detergent, to soften the crud, rinse and wipe dry. I used to soak stuff in Polident to clean it. If you haven't ground them there should be no residues in pores. The glass should still be smooth and shiny. That won't devit if it is fairly clean.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks Jim. That's a relief. It sounds too easy! They were not ground. Jen
Marty

Post by Marty »

Then why did you put them in water?
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Where did the advice/idea to put cut strips in water come from? That is usually given when sawing or grinding glass. This leads to the question; What is the crust on the glass? If it is water deposits (minerals in the water) and not dirt or ground glass dust then it may be more difficult to clean that I suggested. You may need to resort to Limeaway or some such cleaner.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Marty and Jim, now I feel silly. Yesterday I had a closer look and actually handled the strips rather than just peering into the container. They have dull, sticky patches rather than crusty patches.

I’d forgotten that I did grind a few pieces that broke badly. That’s why they were submerged. I’m thinking that the sticky patches are congealed kerosene, which I use as a cutting oil. I’ve never left it sitting on the glass before so didn’t realise it would congeal.

I guess scrubbing with vinegar and water followed by hot water with dish detergent and drying with a clean towel should do it?
Jen
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Little bit late here Jen with the transfer of information. Bloke who ran a resort close to where I live swore by fine steel wool. He had all his cleaners use it to bring shower screens to their sparkling best. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks Haydo, I hadn't thought of using fine steel wool. So simple. That's interesting about using it on shower screens. (That falls under the heading of 'Housework,' doesn't it, so may be a while before it's tested.) I'll certainly try it on the glass strips. Thanks again, Jen.