Diamond Sphere Drill Bits

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AmySkewed

Diamond Sphere Drill Bits

Post by AmySkewed »

I have tried the tips on this forum for drilling with hollow core bits. I'm making ornaments and have about 150 6mm holes to go. It took 10 bits to get through the first 75, and that was because I took the bit out after each hole and knocked out the plug. So, as I went to order another 20 bits I saw a listing for "diamond sphere drill bits". Has anyone tried these? Clearly you won't have the same problem with plugs, but will I get at least as many holes per bit (without the time lost for unplugging)? Any other thoughts or suggestions for 6mm holes?
Joe Wokovich

Re: Diamond Sphere Drill Bits

Post by Joe Wokovich »

I haven't tried the spheres, but I use the hollow shaft ones and get decent results. I leave the drill in the drill press and take a small
allen wrench that fits in the hollow shaft and simply push out the plug after each hole. I drill my holes with the glass under water which
keeps it cool and hole free of ground glass and when done push out the plug in the bit, then take it out of the water do an alcohol clean and dry it off.
My record is 74 bottles with the same half inch bit.
“If you tell me, I will forget.
If you show me, I will remember.
If you let me do it, I will understand."

And then tomorrow I can start all over again
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Joe Wokovich wrote:I haven't tried the spheres, but I use the hollow shaft ones and get decent results. I leave the drill in the drill press and take a small
allen wrench that fits in the hollow shaft and simply push out the plug after each hole. I drill my holes with the glass under water which
keeps it cool and hole free of ground glass and when done push out the plug in the bit, then take it out of the water do an alcohol clean and dry it off.
My record is 74 bottles with the same half inch bit.
the smaller bits are way harder to clean out. i keep 5 or so bits going and have a hhelper stand by and poke out the plugs as i drill. adding antifreeze to the drill water seems to help. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
AmySkewed

Post by AmySkewed »

antifreeze is a good idea! I was thinking about trying to add something like WD40 to keep the cores from getting stuck... I am poking out the plug after EVERY HOLE and I'm still sitting under 10 holes per bit. I am drilling through final fused pieces, usually 2 layers pre-fuse.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

The sphere shaped bits would be quicker. I use really cheap ones all the time. The grit does wear off..... I would guess maybe 15 to 20 holes per bit before they become pretty smooth.
"The Glassman"
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

might be bit quality. i use twofers from aanraku. you might want to do more 'tapping' motions with the bit to clean out swarf. i like to have at least 1/4" water over the top of the glass. i hate drilling holes. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
AmySkewed

Post by AmySkewed »

DonMcClennen wrote:The sphere shaped bits would be quicker. I use really cheap ones all the time. The grit does wear off..... I would guess maybe 15 to 20 holes per bit before they become pretty smooth.
Where do you get the cheap spheres? Or a brand?
rosanna gusler wrote:might be bit quality. i use twofers from aanraku. you might want to do more 'tapping' motions with the bit to clean out swarf. i like to have at least 1/4" water over the top of the glass. i hate drilling holes. r.
I've been buying from Ed Hoy but brand isn't indicated - typically quality bits. Same class for larger bits get me well over 30 holes (I stopped counting).

I avoided ornaments for years, mostly because I hate drilling. Then I had a commission that was too good to pass up to take my current designs down to ornament size. I've lost roughly 15 pieces due to bits just wearing out so quickly.