grinder or cutting system?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Suzette A

grinder or cutting system?

Post by Suzette A »

What is more useful for a newbie working with glass?
A grinder, to correct cutting mistakes and for finishing,
or, a cutting system to make cutting more accurate?

Ill get both eventually but for now Im looking the most useful tool for my budget.

Also, as my kiln and work area is small, my tool choices are of the mini variety.

If a cutting system is of most use, which would be the most versitle?

Im considering Beetle bits mini or the cutters mate mini with the linear scoring tool.

Thanks for your opinion!
Aglassygirl303

Re: grinder or cutting system?

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

Well I would start with a good cutting system. You can cold work a rough edge by hand with a stone or a diamond dremmel tool. I have the Beetle bits system and love it.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Perhaps your choice should be based on what you'll be doing most. Learning to score freehand will stand you in good stead for all those non-straight line scores that a 'system' can't assist. A grinder can rescue faulty breaks you'll make starting out and you can use a straight edge when scoring. OTOH, if all you want to do is assemble variations on a straight line then a system may be best. Think about the designs you want to achieve. Good luck and enjoy! Jen
charlie

Post by charlie »

practice.

you may need neither when you get good at cutting.
Aglassygirl303

Post by Aglassygirl303 »

Regardless you should have both, develop a well equipped shop with all tools of convenience. I know master glass artists that use grinders and saws and cutting systems. Glass sometimes has a mind of its own regardless of your skill, glass will do what it wants =D>