Christmas tree topper - how to attach?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

NinaMiller

Christmas tree topper - how to attach?

Post by NinaMiller »

I'm making a Bethlehem shaped star tree topper. I am planning to fuse in a 14 gauge tinned copper wire at the bottom and then coil it into a cone shape after firing. This was the thickest gauge wire I could find that was both kiln safe and bendable. Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Anyone made one of these before? Should I also attach some wires at the tips of the side star points to wrap around? Thinner gauge I was thinking. I can't think of any other way to mount the star to the tree. It's going to be about 12 inches tall and 9 inches wide and made of 2 layers of 3mm glass so it will be heavy. I'm worried that the wire will break off under the weight.
Judd

Re: Christmas tree topper - how to attach?

Post by Judd »

Why don't you make a channel at the base of the star? After you fire, you would slide the wire into the channel and glue it in place. You could use a 2 part epoxy (like what they sell at any hardware store). That way the wire isn't weakened by the heat.
NinaMiller

Re: Christmas tree topper - how to attach?

Post by NinaMiller »

Making a channel is an excellent idea. I could still make the coiled cone, but this would allow for wire replacement if necessary. And like you say, the wire wouldn't be weakened by the heat. Thank you! I have some good epoxies since I make jewelry. I wonder if I might even be able to get by without glue - I could certainly try it out first.