Shipping Big Internationally

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aliceRI

Shipping Big Internationally

Post by aliceRI »

I am excited!
I just received a commission for glass that will be installed in a hotel in Costa Rica. There are two pieces and each piece is constructed of four panels, two larger and two smaller, hung by a cable system. The total shipment will consist of four panels: 9" x 26" x 1/2" and four panels 15" x 26" x 1/2". I know this isn't tremendously big for some but it is big for me!
I would like suggestions on how I should ship these pieces. I could freight ship them or I could use Bullseye boxes I have. I have several full sheet size boxes and several half size boxes which I could put two panels in each and ship that way.
The client is paying for shipping so the safest option is the best, but I was also thinking of posing a swap: shipping for a week at his hotel? What do you think?
Any suggestions, options are welcome!!!!
BTW: The pieces are similar to this one:
CCVICKERS

Re: Shipping Big Internationally

Post by CCVICKERS »

Oh my! That piece is amazing! Absolutely beautiful!

If the customer is paying for the shipping, is it an option that THEY choose a packing, crating and shipping carrier? They may be in the best position to select a carrier that has a good reputation in Costa Rica. There may be a customs process as well. They may know the safest way to move it through customs as well. There are services that can blow foam into plastic bags that will form to each piece of glass and the create. I've had delicate tv production equipment sent this way. If customs inspection is a factor, see if someone can be there on the other end to be there when the package is opened. If you have to choose the carrier, I would stick with a major carrier such as FedEx or DHL. I've used both over the years and have never had a broken piece of equipment. I've had very good communication with both carriers during the shipping process. I'v had a couple of shipments diverted or detained in customs but all were recovered and the carrier was very helpful.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Alice, follow the lead of Bullseye and pack just as they would.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

Thanks to you both.
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

The pieces in your photograph are spectacular! I have had very good luck shipping rather fragile glass internationally with USPS Priority Express or Global express. I wrap the glass well with bubble wrap, crate it, and then wrap the crate with bubble wrap and put it into a larger crate. Uline sells a variety of strong cardboard boxes in nesting sizes.
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

Michele,
When you say "crate" are you using wooden crates from uline or boxes? I have seen the wooden crates and thought about doing that.
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

I used my own custom made wooden crates for one shipment of large (24" x 48" x ½") and heavy pieces. I have been using Uline's "Regular" boxes, 200# test for 30# or less, and their "Heavy Duty" double wall boxes, 275# test for heavier loads. I am going to start using the Heavy Duty" double wall boxes, 275# test boxes for all my glass now. At least for the outer boxes. I have shipped thousands of pieces, and have never had a piece break because of box failure, but those double walled boxes inspire confidence.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Having helped Michele with shipping, I can say that her challenge is particularly different from Alice's. Michele's pieces are thin and bent to random shapes. Alice, you are shipping thick flat pieces. I think the big deal for this job is the eggcrate foam that Bullseye uses to ship it's half sheets. Double boxing is always an extra layer of protection. Bullseye uses the heavy cardboard. Any cardboard box being shipped, needs to be able to withstand a 2' drop, as these are likely to happen off of conveyer belts at shipping depots. Bullseye could not remain in business and ship their glass if their packing procedures were the least bit problematic.

If you are worried about this, the alternative is a wooden crate on a pallet, that is moved only with a fork lift. Then all you have to do is hope nobody runs the fork lift in to the side of your crate, or drops it off the fork lift. I have had pretty good luck shipping heavy glass in wooden crates on a pallet, or with built in fork lift blocks.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

Bert,
I was actually thinking of packing and shipping in that manner. What do you put in-between each panel and how would I pack them in the crate? I have double boxed and have used Bullseye's boxes with mostly success. Having 8 larger/heaver panels of two different sizes is a bit different than I usually ship and poses a challenge for me.
Two foot drop?! Yikes.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

aliceRI wrote:Bert,
I was actually thinking of packing and shipping in that manner. What do you put in-between each panel and how would I pack them in the crate? I have double boxed and have used Bullseye's boxes with mostly success. Having 8 larger/heaver panels of two different sizes is a bit different than I usually ship and poses a challenge for me.
Two foot drop?! Yikes.
I have done a lot of shipping of things like countertops or integrated countertop/sink. I crate these with blocks on the bottom so a fork lift can be used to lift them, or screw the whole crate on to a hardwood palette.

If all the pieces are uniform size, I think it is pretty straight forward. Foam between layers is sufficient. For different sized panels, you might want to include something stiffer between layers. Either thin plywood or thick building styrofoam, or both. The idea being to protect the long sheet from being pushed in to a short sheet.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

Thank you all for your help. Just an update: I hired a freight shipping service. They came and measured the pieces, made a crate then came and packed the crate on site. The glass made it to the destination safely and I am so very happy I went this route. I'm not a professional packer and glass I put it in the hands of professionals. It was worth the price, paid by the customer.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

aliceRI wrote:Thank you all for your help. Just an update: I hired a freight shipping service. They came and measured the pieces, made a crate then came and packed the crate on site. The glass made it to the destination safely and I am so very happy I went this route. I'm not a professional packer and glass I put it in the hands of professionals. It was worth the price, paid by the customer.
Can't argue with success. I once hired a professional packing company and instructed them to foam the package. They ignored me and packed it with peanuts, and it arrived broken. The client shipped it back. I never saw it, but the description, when returned, was described to me as "pureed". UPS denied the claim. I appealed. They eventually paid me. I lost the gallery that sold the piece, and I never used the shipping service again. I am so glad your packer did it right.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*