Shaped Vesel

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Warren Weiss

Shaped Vesel

Post by Warren Weiss »

When I first started to work with glass in '97 I made a slump mold with Mold mix 6 in what I thought was an interesting shape, like an ancient Egyptian oil lamp. Little did I know then that it was an impossible shape to slump, which I confirmed many years later using window glass. It looked possible to use that mold to stack vitrograph murrini along the walls and tack fuse at 1385. The result is below. If I were to do it again I would tack fuse at a lower temp. like 1350.

Warren
Attachments
001.jpg
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Shaped Vesel

Post by Brad Walker »

Two more photos of Warren's piece:
Attachments
012[2].jpg
011[2].jpg
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

The colors, textures, and form are beautifully organic. Could you have tack fused flat, at 1350°F (+/-), and then slumped into the mold at 1250°F (+/-)?
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Congratulations Warren! Geomorphic view from space? Jen
Warren Weiss

Post by Warren Weiss »

Could you have tack fused flat, at 1350°F (+/-), and then slumped into the mold at 1250°F (+/-)?
Michele,
That shape is impossible to slump into. It has a deep foot at one end. Glass will fold up on itself as it slumps. Tried it with window glass first and it folded up. I actually had to fire the murrini 3 times. After the first fire the sides settled down as the air space disappeared between the individual murrini and I added more rows to top up. Had to do that a second time for a total of 3 firings.

Warren
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

Very cool and wonderful.
Thank you for sharing this art-rageous piece.
Joyce
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

Oh so fantastic. Awesome unique shape and simply wonderful composition. Love Love Love =D>
Give out Free Hugs!
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Gorgeous. Reminds me of coral and the sea.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact I just returned from a week at the beach :mrgreen: .

Dana W.
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Warren, this is really a special piece on so many levels. I very much appreciate the thought and skill that went into Its execution. This was NOT easy! Just beautiful!

Sharol
Lori Schinelli

Post by Lori Schinelli »

Unique and beautiful piece.
Warren Weiss

Post by Warren Weiss »

Thank you Michele, Jen, Joyce, Leslie, Dana, Lori for your comments, and to Brad for helping me post the last 2 pictures. It was difficult, but once I started it became a challenge just to see if I could complete it. It has all the makings of a one of a kind object. Jen's comment about a "geomorphic view from space" gives me ideas for a future murrini project.

Warren