Annealing question...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Studiodunn

Annealing question...

Post by Studiodunn »

I have been phasing out my System 96 glass as I switch to BE. However, on occasion, I have some of both COEs that need firing. These have all typically been coaster sized or smaller 2 layered pieces. Dumb question: Can I program two anneals into a firing schedule without problem? It seems logical but it just never occurred to me to do it until now. I have always played it safe and fired each separately...

Eventually this will be a non-issue...
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
Judd

Re: Annealing question...

Post by Judd »

I anneal my BE the same temp as my System 96. However, my BE tends to be smaller objects, like pendants.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Annealing is a pretty loose endeavor that happens within a range. Heatwork is far more precision dependent. You can anneal both in the same firing, geared to the thickness/thinness of the glass being annealed.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Studiodunn wrote:I have been phasing out my System 96 glass as I switch to BE. However, on occasion, I have some of both COEs that need firing. These have all typically been coaster sized or smaller 2 layered pieces. Dumb question: Can I program two anneals into a firing schedule without problem? It seems logical but it just never occurred to me to do it until now. I have always played it safe and fired each separately...
You can program two anneals but there's no need to. Just do one anneal at 950 or 960, take your pick.
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

I appreciate your helpful feedback. Thank you so, so much!

I know I had read about the possibilities of annealing together...It makes sense. I just had not tried it to be on the safe side. But this will most definitely simplify my life during this time of transition... :)

I have read, and reread Rene Culler's description of what she calls, the "anneal slide zone" in her book, Glass Art from the Kiln. Your replies and this book are helping me connect the dots and understand this subject more clearly.

Thanks again!
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I fire both in my larger kilns often. I anneal at 950 and then at 900 and see no problems even on larger work.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com