Jen ken 15" kiln relay question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Flo Ulrich

Jen ken 15" kiln relay question

Post by Flo Ulrich »

Checking out my 15" Jen Ken that has been in storage. Does the side element come on as often/strongly as the top? I want to check to make sure the relay is functioning properly, but I just can't remember how long the side element stays on usually.
tob

Re: Jen ken 15" kiln relay question

Post by tob »

The side and top elements should turn on/off at the same rate. The temperature controller will send one signal to both relays at the same time. If one relay is not cycling at the same rate as the other, then there is a problem.

As far as turning on "as strongly", that depends on the resistance of the top and side elements. If the resistance of the top element measures 14 amps and the side measures 12 amps (not likely the actual resistance, just random numbers pulled out of thin air for an example), then the side will heat less than the top. If the resistance of the elements on the side and top is the same, then they should put out the same amount of power when on. However, if one of the relays is sticking, and not cycling as fast as the other, that element will lag behind in heating because it won't be powered as often.

I don't have a wiring diagram or specs to know the OEM element resistance of your Jen-Ken, but the info above should be accurate in any case.

TOB