lap grinder repair

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cheryl kumiski

lap grinder repair

Post by cheryl kumiski »

i have an asw 18" lap grinder that is now leaking like a sieve at the inner elbow joint. i have emailed the company many times with no response.
since the grinder was pricey i am eager to have it fixed but have no idea who to take it to or if I can fix it myself.
any suggestions, please?
many thanks,
cheryl
linn keller

Re: lap grinder repair

Post by linn keller »

Cheryl,
If I were you I'd call the folks at HIS glassworks. In my experience, they're willing to answer questions and help, and I don't think I've heard a bad word about them. And when one is clueless ( me ), they "brought enlightenment".
Linn
linn in deep deep south texas
cheryl kumiski

Post by cheryl kumiski »

Thank you Linn. Will do that tomorrow.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Steve at ASW was notoriously bad at communicating when I dealt with him. Great machine.
What you probably need is a new 'Belgium water feed, not just a little angle thingy which you can get at your local plumbing store.
Ask him about replacement of the parts via a telephone call.
ASW Diamond Products
PO Box 116
Gorman, CA 93243
(661) 724-8881
(800) 825-2792 Toll Free
(661) 724-8882 Fax
Call or Email us for an appointment today!

Another source but pricy:
http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.c ... ivel.shtml

Another source but probably not the right size I found a water swivel for only about $40.

Here's an issue for you to think about. I once asked via email about replacement and never got a reply.
Phone!!!!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Most lap grinders just have the water supply fed to the top, instead of through the center. You could add a simple water line & valve to top feed the water, at least as a temp fix.