What the...?!!

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Ralph

What the...?!!

Post by Ralph »

Here goes with my first new topic posting on Warm Glass:

Anyone care to hazard a guess on what this glass-related gadget does...?

Ralph
Last edited by Ralph on Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I don't know what it is supposed to be for, but I'd use it to place powder exactly where I wanted it - in Jim's flagstone examples it would work great. What is it really for?
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Jackie

You're on track but I'm not sure you've detected the essential feature. Anything to add?

R
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Ralph wrote:Jackie

You're on track but I'm not sure you've detected the essential feature. Anything to add?

R
My not detecting the essential feature is no big surprise . . . Hmmm, lets see. It looks as though it may, ummm . . .vibrate, no? Perhaps it not only places powder, but sifts it in some fashion. If the vibration has some other function, I don't want to know, Ralph! :wink:
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Jackie

There is quite a personal element to this but nothing you'd mind talking to your mother (or daughter) about.

R
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Ralph wrote:Jackie

There is quite a personal element to this but nothing you'd mind talking to your mother (or daughter) about.

R
You, my friend, don't know my mother! What a trip! She'd have no problem discussing the fact that this toothbrush vibrates . . . or anything else for that matter! :shock:
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

this toothbrush vibrates. . .
Indeed it does, and places powder in nice ways. Too sharp, Jackie.

This is the improved version. Anyone can make the basic model in a couple minutes. Roll a little cone of paper and gaffer tape it lightly on the bristles of an electric toothbrush - the kind that has some stationary bristles works best. You may need to adjust the gaffer tape tension - it doesn't need to be too tight.

I watched how Tibetan sand painters tap a metal cone to place their sand, tried that, then thought of an electric version.

As well as freehand movements, you can make lines with a ruler. Also trace shapes over, in or around templates.

You can make abstract expression-like gestural marks. The little bugger shoots a continuous stream of powder that responds strongly to autographical input. Until later - it's past 1:00AM here.

R
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Very interesting.

For a tool junky like me this might be another addition to the drawer.

However, doesn't it dispense the powder too fast? or can it be regulated?

The powders/frit on my pieces are usually brushed/swept into the crevices...very time consuming. This little devil might help and could be cheaper than those Thompson models which I haven't purchased yet.

How much for the vibrator tooth brush though?

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

How much for the vibrator tooth brush though?

Jim
You can get one that looks like Barbie or Scooby-Doo for about $6
:lol:
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

A vibrating Barbie? Really? Are these intended for children or adults?

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Thompson Enamel sells the manual version. It has a spring wound tightly around the handle and you run your fingernail along the spring and it makes the frit vibrate out. Not nearly as sexy though
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Jim Wolverton wrote:A vibrating Barbie? Really? Are these intended for children or adults?

Jim
Well, unless you know grown-ups who want to brush their teeth with strawberry scented bristles, I would guess children. :wink:
Richard Sinning

Post by Richard Sinning »

Very interesting, it appears to have a syringe attached. Having a medical background would lead me to try different size needles(inside bore), 18 gauge, large; 23 guage smaller for varied and different purposes
Richard
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

However, doesn't it dispense the powder too fast? or can it be regulated?
Jim

You can regulate the flow in different ways - first of course with the on-off switch. A toothbrush with only one button alternating on-off is best. Saves fumbling for the off button when you need to watch the business end.

Richard suggested another way - change the bore diameter. Of course there is a minimum diameter below which the powder clogs.

Most effective is to touch the substrate glass with the nozzle as it dispenses and then vary the downward pressure and/or the angle at which it is held to dampen the vibrations to a greater or lesser degree. Changing the holding angle can also vary the size of the delivery aperture. With the nozzle raised off the glass (even an inch or two) you can get shading effects as the powder spreads.

It's a very expressive tool. Either shading or making a 2mm deep powder design to develop full color in firing works equally well.

I've played around with it some, but it doesn't fit my current work. I posted hoping someone might pick up on it, do something good or develop it further.

R