Making your own..... shards

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Jan de Jong

Making your own..... shards

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hello! I read about this in the Warmglass book and here on this site.
I wonder what is the best method: Drop square, or a square with wire on it (and what is then the best amount between the wires ??) ??
Thank you for your help ! Jan de Jong
DonMcClennen

Re: Making your own..... shards

Post by DonMcClennen »

I don't understand the question :?:
"The Glassman"
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

DonMcClennen wrote:I don't understand the question :?:
Brad Walker writes in his book about this ! Making your own "shards". Possible via a drop (and a square is to prefer) and making a square (RVS) with nichrome wire on it. Sorry, my knowledge of the English language is too poor to explain it on the right manner. I hope you do understand now ?? See my questions in the earlier post. Jan (from Holland)
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Jan de Jong wrote:
DonMcClennen wrote:I don't understand the question :?:
Brad Walker writes in his book about this ! Making your own "shards". Possible via a drop (and a square is to prefer) and making a square (RVS) with nichrome wire on it. Sorry, my knowledge of the English language is too poor to explain it on the right manner. I hope you do understand now ?? See my questions in the earlier post. Jan (from Holland)
Does this translation site http://translation.babylon.com/english/to-dutch/ provide adequate translation so that the post can be written in one's preferred language and translated to English prior to posting on this site?

Deze vertaling site http://translation.babylon.com/english/to-dutch/ voldoende vertalen zodat de post kan worden geschreven in de gewenste taal en vertaald in het Engels voor publicatie op deze site?

See page 193 of Contemporary Fused Glass about making confetti. My experience is that the drop needs to be done with high slumping heat (Brad suggests 1350F) so that the glass becomes very thin. The higher the drop, the thinner the glass; the more glass used, the thicker the confetti. Once glass is cooled, drop into hard container to break into 'shards.' I have only used the drop ring process.

Zie bladzijde 193 van Eigentijdse Gesmolten Glas[ /u] over confetti. Mijn ervaring is dat de terugval dient plaats te vinden met hoge slumping warmte (Brad suggereert 1350F) zodat het glas heel dun. Hoe groter de druppel, hoe dunner de glazen; hoe meer glas gebruikt, hoe dikker de confetti. Eenmaal glazen is afgekoeld, zakt in vaste container te breken in 'scherven.' IK heb alleen de ring.
Jerry
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

@ Jerry: The translation site is not so good, but I did understand what you mean ! Thank you !
Someone who did try firing on wires ? Jan
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

I find the easiest way to make shards is with a torch and blowpipe, or 1/4 hollow mandrel. Not sure where you are, but all you need is a simple one fuel torch and small bottles of Mapp gas that screw onto the torch. You can get them at hardware stores or Home Depot type stores. I do lampwork (bead making) and can make a pile of them in about a 1/2 hour. I'm not sure if the torch plumbers use will get hot enough. Anybody know?
Cate
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

What am I missing here?? A "shard" in the dictionary is a sharp knife like piece of glass or pottery that occur like when you smash a window or dish. #-o
"The Glassman"
Fiona Collins

Post by Fiona Collins »

Aka confetti
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

Confetti is like egg shells in thickness, and made hot on the end of a blowpipe by blowing a bubble out huge. My understanding of a shard is they're small pieces of sheet glass. I make shards by putting sheet glass pieces into a 5 gal. bucket and smashing them until every piece is about the size of a quarter.
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Actually Mark, you are right. The lampwork community calls them shards and fusers call them confetti. They are actually more like confetti, I think... :-k
Cate
Fiona Collins

Post by Fiona Collins »

I've always thought confetti and shards were the same thing but did start as a lampworker, mark what you call shards I would class as mosaic frit. I wonder if terminology differences are regional, or depend on the books we've read or the teachers we've had?