conceptual piece for charity auction

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Bert Weiss

conceptual piece for charity auction

Post by Bert Weiss »

This is me standing next to a conceptual piece I did for a charity auction to support Starting Point, a local agency that supports victims of domestic abuse. The theme of the evening is boots and bling. (this was as close as I could get to western wear)

The piece was made by hammering 2 layers of 10mm glass and fusing them back together. The idea being that shattered and broken can be put back together.

A year ago, I was the featured artist at their charity event. I made this piece, and wasn't satisfied, so I made another. Over the year that it sat in my shop, the piece grew on me, so I decided to auction this one, this year. I live in a small community with many generous people. I am happy to support a few vital nonprofit organizations.

This picture was taken by a friend of mine. I got a tap on the shoulder and turned around. It was a friend I lived and worked with in 1975. He was there to play sax in the band. I had actually seen him just a few months ago when he and his wife came up to ski. What a treat. I had never heard him play with the band.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
JestersBaubles

Re: conceptual piece for charity auction

Post by JestersBaubles »

Nice idea behind the piece, and nice to see a picture of you!

Dana W.
Corlette M

Post by Corlette M »

I have pictures in my head of how I imagine all the regulars to this board will look. Usually, I'm amused at how way off they are, but yours was closer than most :-) I like the piece and the concept- hope it brought in much cash for the charity. Thanks for posting this, and all your previous helpful posts as well.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Corlette M wrote:I have pictures in my head of how I imagine all the regulars to this board will look. Usually, I'm amused at how way off they are, but yours was closer than most :-) I like the piece and the concept- hope it brought in much cash for the charity. Thanks for posting this, and all your previous helpful posts as well.
Corlette, the proper way to picture people here, is in their bathrobe, either playing internet, or making glass art...

I did once pose nude, for a Warm Glass Calendar, lounging inside a kiln I built.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Bert Weiss wrote:[

I did once pose nude, for a Warm Glass Calendar, lounging inside a kiln I built.
Bert,
All copies were burned after three people went blind.

Barry
Corlette M

Post by Corlette M »

:lol: Now that is an image that is going to pop into my head every time I see one of your posts!
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

http://twinvision.fusedglassartists.com/tools.html
It is sooo great to see what others look like ! so I thought I would take the challenge too :D
Give out Free Hugs!
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Leslie,

My image of you was one where we saw you in a shop working with all kinds of apparatus strapped to your head :).

Dana W.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

When I'm not doing glass or working at my "day job", I'm outside. This was taken in November, at The Wave in Kanab, Utah. It's quite a unique place, and you have to win a lottery permit to hike in. We won four of the 10 slots out of about 150 people. I suggested later that we should have all gone to Idaho and played the REAL lottery! Sorry, but the nude versions of Wave pictures are under lock and key :mrgreen:
Dana-wave-small.jpg
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

Dana, that was my Darth Vader look alike!!!! :roll:
Give out Free Hugs!
Pat K.

Post by Pat K. »

I like it, Bert, and everyone looks so much younger than I expected:)

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.