Cutting curved glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nicole Hanna

Cutting curved glass

Post by Nicole Hanna »

This has nothing to do with fusing, but I'm wondering if any of you would know how to cut a hole in the side of a large glass bottle....think terrariums in the 70's.I have a client who found an old glass water bottle and wants to make a terrarium out of it. I have googled everything and can't find anything on how it could be done. Could it be sandblasted? Laser cut? Drilled with a core bit? I know it's out of my league to even try it, but I don't know what to even suggest to them of where they could take it.
Thanks!
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me." (erma bombeck)
Barbara Elmore

Re: Cutting curved glass

Post by Barbara Elmore »

I have seem some bottles that were cut with a tile saw at the shoulders, in line with the n/s axis of the bottle. You can cut as little or as much as you want. I would mark off the area first with a paint pen. A diamond bit of an inch or more cut under water would also work. Just remember that bottle glass was made for a one time use, and there are thick and thin places you need to avoid (if you can find them!).
Thanks, Barbara Hale Elmore

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement" Indian Proverb
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Sandblasting would be easy, you just need to put something in the bottle to keep the abrasive from hitting the opposite side when you break through.

A core drill would also work if you could totally submerge the bottle in water.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

Use a core drill and make sure the bottle is very tightly secured. have a water spray quenching it as you do it. after you have a hole ,you can make it bigger if you desire by using a grinding bit in a Dremel or drill from a traditional stained glass grinder and slowly enlarge the hole and bevel the sharp edges.
Nicole Hanna

Post by Nicole Hanna »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was thinking a core bit would be the best, but as you say, needs to be well secured and all...it's a BIG bottle! At least I have something to tell this person. I might try it on a smaller bottle first and see if I can do that, then maybe....naw, I really don't want to mess with this! :lol:
Thanks again!
N.
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me." (erma bombeck)
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Just make a clay dam around where you want to drill, put in some water and use a core bit.