Replacing top elements in Paragon GL 24ATDS

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Alexis Dinno

Replacing top elements in Paragon GL 24ATDS

Post by Alexis Dinno »

I fear I may need to replace the top elements in my kiln. Currently I have a ceramic ceiling with elements embedded in it. I have written to Paragon for their input on ceiling replacement options, and am wondering if the forum has any input?

I really like the embedded elements and the lack of ceiling material that falls on my work. Are there custom ceilings that you have built and would recommend (I don't know, and am fishing here, in case there are perspective I am unaware of... for example, uh... quartz tube elements? Fiber-based ceilings? Hit me with your insights.)?

Oh, I expect that I will do the work, as I am comfortable with taking the kiln apart, and working with the electrical stuff.

Thanks much!
Buttercup

Re: Replacing top elements in Paragon GL 24ATDS

Post by Buttercup »

Alexis, check out this thread.....Jen

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... up#p354029
Sean McFeely

Re: Replacing top elements in Paragon GL 24ATDS

Post by Sean McFeely »

We can help you find a solution. We would be glad to quote just elements, just the lid, or both. If you give us a pattern we can make a grooved HD ceramic fiber board lid that you can lay your elements into. We also provide a fiberboard slurry glue you then pack into the channel to hold the elements in place or you can use inconel or moly wire to tie them off through small holes in the board. We can also take elements you provide and vacuum form them into a board lid. Some people like the channel/glue because you replace elements later on without destroying your board. Others like have a fully encased "clean" element and lid.

Give us a call 518-701-6722 or e-mail at seanm@ceramaterials.com... Jerry or I would be glad to help.