Klyr Fire and GlasTac

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

De Anza Art Glass Club

Klyr Fire and GlasTac

Post by De Anza Art Glass Club »

Can anyone tell me the difference or send me to a reference explaining the difference between Thompson Enamel Klyr Fire and Bullseye GlasTac?

Functionally similar, interchangeable, but used by different communities?
Klyr Fire is more concentrated than GlasTac (red)?
Just use hairspray or sugar solution (even if I already have Klyr Fire and GlasTac)?

Thanks for your input,
Charles
seachange

Re: Klyr Fire and GlasTac

Post by seachange »

Can't help regarding the brand names, I live in Australia, therefore try to find products available locally.

Re hair spray, I use it a lot. Suppose it depends on size and layering of your work. It works extremely well for some of my jewelry. I also use a water based glue...depends what I am trying to keep together.

In all cases I use the absolute minimum possible, and always place the glue towards the corners or edges of the piece, so that fumes don't get trapped between the glass.

Haven't tried a sugar solution...should smell nice while it burns off :wink:

Best regards, seachange
De Anza Art Glass Club

Re: Klyr Fire and GlasTac

Post by De Anza Art Glass Club »

Thank you for your reply.

I had been looking on the vendors' websites for information, with not much luck. I know some MSDS are available on request but are not available otherwise from the manufacturers. I found out that Slumpy's < http://www.slumpys.com/Company-Informat ... SDS-Sheets > has a page full of MSDS links.

Klyr-Fire (Thompson Enamels) is probably the oldest, and is 3% methyl ethyl cellulose in water.

Other companies add some other things, but Glastac (Bullseye) uses hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (concentration not specified),
Liquid stringer medium (Fusion Headquarters) uses carbomethyl cellulose sodium (<2%), and
Pate de Verre and Fusers Glue (Creative Craftsmen) uses sodium carboxymethyl cellulose (1.67%).