lighting an art piece

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

kgordon

lighting an art piece

Post by kgordon »

Hi, I need help figuring out how to light a glass art piece that I made. There are some beautiful transparent patterns I'd like to highlight with some LED or other lighting. should I make a light box? how about light strips? I have never done anything like this and need help. The piece is about 11x17 rectangular and I do have an outlet right under where I want to hang it. Also, I was planning on using standoffs, but is there a better way? I can post a photo if needed. thanks all. Kim
Bert Weiss

Re: lighting an art piece

Post by Bert Weiss »

I think most people try and complicate lighting way too much. If you mount it on standoffs, and wash the wall with light, it will pop through. It is best to have uneven lighting with hot spots and cool spots.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
tbach

Post by tbach »

I have found myself in the glass painting mode for the last year or so - when I discovered that they needed to be backlit to be properly displayed, I set out to figure how to do that. What resulted is a short tutorial on making backlit frames using commercially available frame stock and LED lights in your own studio space ... a resource list is included in the tutorial.

Please pm your email address to me, and I will shoot it out to you right away. It is in pdf format. I have tried to attach pdf documents in the past in this forum, and have been unsuccessful.

If anyone else is interested, please do the same ...

Why do I do this? It's my way to pay it forward for all of the help - both direct and indirect - that I have received from members of this forum and glassworkers in general. I have found glassworkers to be incredibly open and giving - something unique in the creative world. They are willing to share both their successes and their failures to help other glassworkers succeed.

Good luck

Ted Bach
Hillsboro, Oregon
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I agree with Bert. Offsetting the piece from the wall and washing the wall with light seems to be the less obtrusive and most efficient way to backlight. I make bases and stands for my work so they can be displayed on a shelf and be offset from the wall that will be lit. This way the piece also accommodates being put in an architectural opening if it exists.