Affordable Kiln Shelves

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Matthew900

Affordable Kiln Shelves

Post by Matthew900 »

I'm new to working with a kiln and I need some advice on where to shop online for suplies and equipment. I was hoping someone could direct me to a low cost source for kiln shelves. I'm slumping and fusing bottle glass so they don't need to take too much weight, I need to get 2 more 20x20 inch shelves. Thanks!
Valerie Adams

Re: Affordable Kiln Shelves

Post by Valerie Adams »

I've had inexpensive kiln shelves from a pottery store that were ok. You have to take a straight edge with you to make sure they're flat.
But my favorite shelves are the ones that Bullseye sells; flat, smooth, and perfect.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Take your straight edge to a salvage store that sells pizza stones. These are made of the identical material that kiln shelves are made from. Sometimes they are a bit thinner. Flat is king.

I once visited a factory that makes kiln shelves and kiln furniture. Next to the stacks of shelves were the stacks of pizza stones.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I agree with Valerie, the Bullseye shelves are worth the investment!
"The Glassman"
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

If weight is important, 25 mil (1 Inch) High Density Fibreboard is lightweight and inexpensive and can be cut to fit your kiln. I sheet will get you two shelves. Jen
Peter Angel

Post by Peter Angel »

You can also use a glazed ceramic tile with a piece of thin fibre paper over the glazing.

They're very smooth, very flat and can take glass slumping/fusing temperatures easily.

They're also very cheap. In Australia we have a hardware chain called Bunnings that sell large tiles for $2.30 each. I'm sure you have a similar chain locally.

The only thing is don't fire up or down faster than 100C/hr and they will last a very long time.

Pete
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.