1/16" Fiber Paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JenniferB

1/16" Fiber Paper

Post by JenniferB »

I would like to find the smoothest possible fiber paper in 1/16" thickness. I've had some experience with Thermal Ceramics Series 7000 and it's quite smooth. I'd like to buy a roll of it but can't seem to find a supplier here in the US. Does anyone know where I can buy a 48" wide roll of it? Or... does anyone know of any fiber paper that is even smoother?
Jennifer
Buttercup

Re: 1/16" Fiber Paper

Post by Buttercup »

Jennifer, Thermal Ceramics in Oz changed its name to Morgan Thermal Ceramics. I just had a quick look on-line and see that the US branches seem to have done the same. I didn't send a link because I don't know where you're located. The local suppliers have 1 mil x 610 x 40 meters so the US probably would too. Is that what you'd want?
Hope that helps. Jen
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

In the Portland or area, this is the place to go
Jim

Western Industrial Ceramics
10725 SW Tualatin Sherwood Road
Tualatin, OR 97062 - View Map
Phone: (503) 692-3770
Web: Wicinc.com
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Buttercup wrote:Jennifer, Thermal Ceramics in Oz changed its name to Morgan Thermal Ceramics. I just had a quick look on-line and see that the US branches seem to have done the same. I didn't send a link because I don't know where you're located. The local suppliers have 1 mil x 610 x 40 meters so the US probably would too. Is that what you'd want?
Hope that helps. Jen

Jen,
Thanks for this information. I'm in the Northeast part of the US. Originally the Morgan Thermal Ceramics website was broken and I couldn't contact them, but following a very circuitous route through Google, I finally managed to find a supplier of Thermal Ceramics products and they are going to send me a sample of their 1/16 inch (just over 1.5 millimeters) paper to test. The trick may be finding a roll of 48 inch (122 mil) wide paper which is what I'm looking for.
Regards,
Jennifer
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

jim simmons wrote:In the Portland or area, this is the place to go
Jim

Western Industrial Ceramics
10725 SW Tualatin Sherwood Road
Tualatin, OR 97062 - View Map
Phone: (503) 692-3770
Web: Wicinc.com

Jim, thanks for this contact info. I'm in Vermont so hopefully I'll be able to find what I want a little closer to home, otherwise the shipping costs will just about double the price! I'm looking for 48" wide paper and the supplier near me (I finally found one) doesn't often carry it. In that case, I may have to speak to the people in OR.

Regards, Jennifer
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

JenniferB wrote:
Buttercup wrote:Jennifer, Thermal Ceramics in Oz changed its name to Morgan Thermal Ceramics. I just had a quick look on-line and see that the US branches seem to have done the same. I didn't send a link because I don't know where you're located. The local suppliers have 1 mil x 610 x 40 meters so the US probably would too. Is that what you'd want?
Hope that helps. Jen

Jen,
Thanks for this information. I'm in the Northeast part of the US. Originally the Morgan Thermal Ceramics website was broken and I couldn't contact them, but following a very circuitous route through Google, I finally managed to find a supplier of Thermal Ceramics products and they are going to send me a sample of their 1/16 inch (just over 1.5 millimeters) paper to test. The trick may be finding a roll of 48 inch (122 mil) wide paper which is what I'm looking for.
Regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer, how did the 1.5 mil Morgan Thermal Ceramics paper perform for you? Would you recommend it? Is it smooth like Spectrum's Papyros
or is it "fuzzy" like the thicker stuff? I have their 3 mil product but haven't tried to peel it apart to get a thinner piece. Thanks, Jen
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Jennifer, how did the 1.5 mil Morgan Thermal Ceramics paper perform for you? Would you recommend it? Is it smooth like Spectrum's Papyros
or is it "fuzzy" like the thicker stuff? I have their 3 mil product but haven't tried to peel it apart to get a thinner piece. Thanks, Jen
Jen,
It doesn't leave as smooth a surface as Papyros or Thinfire. To be honest, I've shelved the project for which I wanted the fiber paper but while I was experimenting I found that the surface fired (to a full fuse) against the fiber paper was slightly textured. I'm not sure splitting your 3 mil. fiber paper is going to result in a perfectly consistent 1.5 mil paper but I guess it's worth a try.
Jennifer
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Northeast is still kind of vague. I know New England sources like Smart Ceramics or Ceramaterials (in NY), or Lynn Products, or Zampell. Most places only sell by the roll or the case. You will have to search for one that sells by the foot. I used to have one in Maine, but they switched focus. Go to a phone book and look up refractory suppliers and call them, then ask for more ideas of who to call.

Papers come in different grades. The ones I use have 2 sides, one has random bumps on it and the other a grid made by a screen. At least 2 companies, Unifrax and Lydall call this 970 grade. It comes in thicknesses between 1/32" and ¼". You can stack thinner pieces. Since it is primarily priced by the pound, the thinner sizes are more useful to me.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Jennifer, Bert,thank you. I have a huge roll of the 3 mil but was wishing I'd bought the thinner stuff instead as it can be layered to any thickness, as Bert notes. I found that it left a less than perfect surface so have just stayed with using alumina hydrate over a kiln-washed shelf. Knowing that it's not as smooth as Papyros will save me from an expensive, less than satisfactory purchase. Thanks again for the input. Jen