MR-97 application problems

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

mtn gator

MR-97 application problems

Post by mtn gator »

I'm having an application problem with MR-97, when I spray molds the MR-97 has a rough texture like fine sand. I am following all of the instructions I shake the can well before using, I hold the can vertical not at an angle, I'm making sure the mold is 10-12 inches away and it doesn't matter if the can is brand new and full, half full or nearly empty. I've had the same issue with 3 cans. Could altitude affect the spray pressure or contents/ (I live at 9300 feet) I asked the experts at Delphi and they told me no one had ever heard of the problem or experienced any thing like this. Does any one have any ideas at this point I really don't know what to do.
David Jenkins

Re: MR-97 application problems

Post by David Jenkins »

Not an answer to the problem, but in the spirit of scientific curiosity: Do you ever get down to lower altitudes? If so, take a can with you and spray something - see if there's a difference.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

I think that you are applying to much.
Might pay to visit colourdeverre's website.
They have a good "how to" video.

http://www.colourdeverre.com/img/projec ... riming.pdf
Jim
mtn gator

Post by mtn gator »

I just want to tell everyone about a very impressive experience I had; I had been having problems when spraying MR-97 on a molds the spray was not leaving a smooth texture on the molds it had a sand like texture; I had posed question on every glass fusing web site I could find and no one had an answer, every response I received said they had never heard of any one having this issue. I finally sent an email to ZYP Coatings customer service group within approximately 2 hrs I received a call from a wonderful gentleman @ Colour De Verre who put me into a conference call with an gentleman at ZYP coating; long story shorten after much discussion there were several very helpful suggestions, Hallelujah they worked!!! I just wanted all glass artist to know how completely impressed I was that executives Colour De Verre and ZYP Coating called to talk through my problems, what a very positive wonderful experience. I will be a long time supporter of both companies
Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. According to both gentlemen because I live above 9300 ft. the propellants were dissipating too quickly so the spray was partially drying before reaching the mold.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Crested Butte?
Barb R

Post by Barb R »

What did they tell you to do differently?
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

I have been a Colour De Verre customer for a LONG time, and I am still impressed with their customer service.

Jim

mtn gator wrote:I just want to tell everyone about a very impressive experience I had; I had been having problems when spraying MR-97 on a molds the spray was not leaving a smooth texture on the molds it had a sand like texture; I had posed question on every glass fusing web site I could find and no one had an answer, every response I received said they had never heard of any one having this issue. I finally sent an email to ZYP Coatings customer service group within approximately 2 hrs I received a call from a wonderful gentleman @ Colour De Verre who put me into a conference call with an gentleman at ZYP coating; long story shorten after much discussion there were several very helpful suggestions, Hallelujah they worked!!! I just wanted all glass artist to know how completely impressed I was that executives Colour De Verre and ZYP Coating called to talk through my problems, what a very positive wonderful experience. I will be a long time supporter of both companies
Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. According to both gentlemen because I live above 9300 ft. the propellants were dissipating too quickly so the spray was partially drying before reaching the mold.