More kiln questions

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Chris Lowry

More kiln questions

Post by Chris Lowry »

When fusing, is it important to have elements on the top? I'm really interested in the Pargon Pearl 44 but it only has side elements. Would this kiln work well for fusing and dam casting 1-2" thick?

Please help!!!
Yardic Glassworks

Re: More kiln questions

Post by Yardic Glassworks »

Pretty sure the Pearl 44 has top and side elements.....
Tim Yardic
Yardic Glassworks
Chris Lowry

Post by Chris Lowry »

Ok so I called Paragon and tried to ask a bunch of questions. They said the top elements are Muffled in the top... Not sure I really understand but is this any good?

I'm very lost. I'd like to buy a larger clam shell type kiln but I have limited power so I don't have a ton of options.
Yardic Glassworks

Post by Yardic Glassworks »

The top elements in the Pearl are within the fiber top. I have the GL44ADTSD which is similar to the Peal 44, just opens differently and has more depth. I have three Paragon kilns and I am very happy with each of them. In my opinion, the Pearl 44 is a very nice kiln with the additional benefit of being able to more easily build your project in the kiln if you chose to do so. Personally I have experienced great customer service with Paragon as well. Everyone seems to have their own favorites, and there are a lot of different kilns out there, so maybe some others will jump in with their advice. Tim
Tim Yardic
Yardic Glassworks
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Don't know where you're located Chris but if you're in North America and have an electric oven or a clothes dryer you'll most likely have 220 v power available. If you wire the kiln to the same circuit and DON'T use the appliances while the kiln is running you should manage. Jen
Peter Angel

Post by Peter Angel »

Buttercup wrote: DON'T use the appliances while the kiln is running you should manage. Jen
In other words he has to choose between eating and arting. :)
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Peter Angel wrote:
Buttercup wrote: DON'T use the appliances while the kiln is running you should manage. Jen
In other words he has to choose between eating and arting :)
.....or air dry his clothes while wearing them...... :shock:
Peter Angel

Post by Peter Angel »

Buttercup wrote:.....or air dry his clothes while wearing them...... :shock:
Standing close to the hot kiln will dry his clothes really fast! :)
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.
Chris Lowry

Post by Chris Lowry »

I live in Hawaii, I do have a 220v 50amp extra plug so I guess I'm good on power for most things.

I like the GL44AD, thinking more of kiln casting and thicker panels. My wife likes the Pearl44 thinking more of fusing and slumping.

Are there any big advantages of these two kilns or is it really just preference?

Thanks again for the help, I do appreciate it.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Chris Lowry wrote:I live in Hawaii, I do have a 220v 50amp extra plug so I guess I'm good on power for most things.

I like the GL44AD, thinking more of kiln casting and thicker panels. My wife likes the Pearl44 thinking more of fusing and slumping.

Are there any big advantages of these two kilns or is it really just preference?

Thanks again for the help, I do appreciate it.
The late Brian Blanthorn coined a word, "evenivity" The more evenly you heat a piece of glass, the faster you can go without heat shocking it. In my opinion, the ideal fusing kiln has only top elements and is about 12" deep. The ideal casting kiln has elements on 6 sides. The ideal kiln for thick slabs has both floor and roof elements. This will speed up both heat up and anneal times.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Chris Lowry

Post by Chris Lowry »

That makes sense, more to think of.

Can you still make thicker slabs without the bottom elements... Just slower?