Viewing window in homebrew fibre kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rick Wilton

Re: Viewing window in homebrew fibre kiln

Post by Rick Wilton »

Insulated fire brick.

The type of bricks used in most ceramics kilns. I have a lot of them kicking around so that's what I used.
Rick Wilton
adrian

Post by adrian »

Rick Wilton wrote:Insulated fire brick.

The type of bricks used in most ceramics kilns. I have a lot of them kicking around so that's what I used.
Ah - thanks! Google had lots of suggestions but not that looked likely <g>

A
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

adrian wrote:
Morganica wrote:One suggestion, whatever you use: Remember that it can be very dark inside a kiln. ;-)

Only half joking. I have a nice big quartz window in my new fiber kiln and I love it...as long as the kiln is actively firing. That way the elements illuminate the interior. When the kiln has gone into the downramp, though, and the elements shut down, you can't see a daggone thing in there.

I'd considered putting windows in either end of the kiln for exactly that reason, so that I could bring in enough light when the elements weren't glowing. Then I figured quartz was expensive and not as insulating, and sp two windows was a dumb idea. So...one window.

Now I wish I'd stuck with my dumb idea. I'm trying to rig video to capture processes and it's hard to both light the interior and film it at the same time. A backlight coming from the other side of the kiln would have been perfect. Or, possibly, one from above...
HI

How big is 'big' ?
Just wondering whether a bigger window is the way to go - rather than a 'peephole' ?
Understand about it being dark inside the kiln when the elements aren't 'lit'..
I think some folks shine a flashlight through the window - but a way of lighting it from 'inside' would seem good...
Interesting!
Thanks
A
My window's 4x4 inches. I do the flashlight trick too, when I'm just looking in casually. What I'm trying to do, though, is set up a video camera on a tripod to do stop-motion, focus in on details, etc., and it's tough to do that AND have enough room for the flashlight. What I'd originally planned was to have one window on the left, near the front, and the other on the right offset about a foot to the back for a backlight. Now that I've been playing with this awhile, I think an overhead would actually be a better idea.

In any case, the window's great. I'd agree with the others, a peephole doesn't do much more than give you one more thing to break when you accidentally drop the plug on the floor.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)