Spicules and refiring a piece thicker than 6mm

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bob Urrea

Spicules and refiring a piece thicker than 6mm

Post by Bob Urrea »

When you fire a piece thicker than 6mm with dams and get the irregular little spicules or irregularities along the edge which require cold working, how do you prevent it from recurring when you have to put the piece back In the dam again with he same 1/8 " type of dam to fire polish the edges? Thanks for any input.
linn keller

Re: Spicules and refiring a piece thicker than 6mm

Post by linn keller »

bob,
if i understand your question correctly, you're talking about prevention after you've done the cold working....in my experience, fire polish temp won't be high enough or long enough to cause the glass to move. i'm sure there's a kiln somewhere that belies that statement, but if i were worried i'm make a test run and see exactly what happens at what temps/time.
good luck,
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

If you line the dam with 2 pieces of thin fiber paper, and the inner piece sits lower than the glass is thick, this will mitigate the tendency to make the spikeys. In other words if the glass is 7mm thick, make the inner lining 6mm high.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Warren Weiss

Post by Warren Weiss »

If you are only going to fire polish temperatures (1260 for 5 to 10 min) you should not have to dam it.

Warren
Bob Urrea

Post by Bob Urrea »

Thank you All for your input. Fire polished with your recs and had a nice soothing edge with no spicules.