New Evenheat GTS2541 Warping Lid

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cher

Post by Cher »

I did contact evenheat after the 3rd fireing. They never responded. That's why I love this board. If it weren't for some of you folks out there who have had similar experiences and care to share, I would never have known that it's perfectly ok to have 'wings'.... :roll:

When the manufacturer don't respond to inquires like Montys or mine, its good to know that this board is here to help.

2 of my 3 kilns are evenheats and they are great kilns. I would recommend them to anyone. Monty, Keep me posted on the braided rope!
>^..^<
Carla Fox

Post by Carla Fox »

Mark Hughes wrote:So Tammy at evenheat says this is normal. What does she say is wrong with all the other kilns whose lids don't warp, don't leak heat, and fire evenly? :lol: [/u]
I've been thinking of this. It may be a venting solution. My evenheat holds the heat for a long time. This maybe the way evenhead allows it's kiln to vent and not be air tight.....

Carla
Monty

Post by Monty »

CM Fox wrote:
Mark Hughes wrote:So Tammy at evenheat says this is normal. What does she say is wrong with all the other kilns whose lids don't warp, don't leak heat, and fire evenly? :lol: [/u]
I've been thinking of this. It may be a venting solution. My evenheat holds the heat for a long time. This maybe the way evenhead allows it's kiln to vent and not be air tight.....

Carla
Mark,
Tammy said it was normal for this model because of the shape and weight of the lid. She advised that all lids raise to some extent but not to the same degree as this model.

Carla
From Tammy's responses I don't believe its an intentional design solution, besides I want to vent my kiln via an orton type bottom venting solution. I can't see how that can work efficiently when the sides are going up and down at various temperatures and thereby changing the rate of airflow into the kiln. For my part I want total control of how my kiln operates which includes how much airflow my venting system should have, where it should vent from and when it should happen :D

I still think I've got a good kiln (so far) I just think it could be better :?
Anyway I received my braided rope this morning and will give it a whirl nad post my results.
Cheers