Autumn of our Reign.

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Haydo

Autumn of our Reign.

Post by Haydo »

1-034.JPG
1-041.JPG
1-009.JPG
Managed to get a highly commended and a very constructive critique. Originally approached the artist run gallery in the Whitsundays Airlie Beach to gain membership so that I could rotate work through it. Jumped at the opportunity to exhibit a piece in the themed category of climate change in their 28th annual exhibition. The judge and critic was Chris Saines, the director of QAG/GOMA. He rubbed a few of them the wrong way, I didn't mind this as I don't mind comedy. He couldn't ignore my work but thought it unresolved with the clunky nuts to fasten panel, commented that it was emblematic and acted as a sentinel. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Warren Weiss

Re: Autumn of our Reign.

Post by Warren Weiss »

Haydo,
A magnificent piece!
Warren
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

I absolutely love the texture, color, and flowing shape of the design. I am drawn to the base (love metal/rock) and find the nuts serve as exclamation points. Disruption in a good way.
Vonon
grammy

Post by grammy »

My reaction is the same as Vonon. I love the texture that you created.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thanks guys. I didn't mind the nuts at first either but understand now that if I'd made a metal cast of a fixing plate with a multitude of rivet heads to hide a slim nut the viewer would have stood a better chance to solve the puzzle of what the glass component was. It is supposed to be a wind turbine blade. The critic, Chris Saines, explained to the group who attended the critique that not all will agree with what he felt. He explained that technique was not as important as being engaged, as his job is all about looking at art not making it and that most things he has seen before.
peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Wow. Love it! Dimensions, please? It really fits the brief. Wonder if we can get Sir Positority to sit on it while he pontificates about the evils of wind farms and any other form of renewable energy? Jen
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thanks Jen. The glass component is 590mm x 180mm x 15mm. I'm liking where solar energy technology is going. Unfortunately it's not going to be easy.
peace, haydo
peter cummings

Post by peter cummings »

Love this. "that technique was not as important as being engaged" I like the shading , detail and the subject very much. I look like moving away from gas and coal country (seems to do something bad for the people too) to where thay have wind turbines and a tidal turbo generator.
I saw a sculpture a while ago, not glass, that had a few obvious nuts holding it together. Instead of hiding the artist put more on the base so they were part of the theme and it worked well.
Peter.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thanks Peter, old mate. I have more cane ready for another go at this octopus skin idea. When doing an abstract art workshop in 2012 I was drawn to certain random brush strokes and it's these I want to replicate on a panel of glass that shifts colour as the viewers angle changes.
peace, haydo
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

This is intriguing, thought provoking, and beautiful. The glass colors, patterns, and form are wonderfully resolved. The connection to the stone feels like it could be no other way. While the nuts do not distract, they are not as amazing as the rest of the composition. I would love to visit your work in person, and see it in changing light.
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

absolutely stunning
Give out Free Hugs!
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

ASHES for Autumn of ouir Reign.jpg
Would have liked a better home for this piece, like back home. Still feel deflated that I didn't drive up the coast and sneak onto the site at night to reclaim, by about 3am most nightshift workers are somewhere else. peace, haydo
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Haydo, what happened?? Jen
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Oh, no. I am sorry... Intentional fire?

Dana W.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Jen, Dana this was in an artist run gallery at Cannonvale Shopping Centre near Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays. No suspicion regarding the fire just a comedy of errors that followed that allowed it to spread, wiping out Target department store, homewares store, three bank branches, cafe, hairdressers and us. Locals were pointing out where the fire hydrants were, this was after a twenty minute wait for arrival after first 000 call.
When first told about the fire it was still raging. I didn't feel much at all, easy come easy go. Slowly the attachment to this work crept in then the training from the studio said move on and learn. Yeah!, no worries mate, I've moved on and let go. But I don't think I have, the piece didn't come easy. Very grateful that I didn't rotate it out with Below Knifes Edge #2, would have had to find somewhere to have a sook. peace, haydo
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I'm so sorry to hear that Haydo. I don't know if that made the news here, I don't remember it but I just looked at images on-line. What a huge blaze, so many businesses, jobs and artists' work destroyed. I hope there wasn't a pet store in there.

Did you put Below Knife's Edge No 2 on here? Can't remember that either. (I'm losing it, obviously). It won't make up for the loss, but was there any insurance for the artwork that will help with the cost of more raw materials? Take care, Jen.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

BLACK.jpg
No pets at this centre. Loosing this piece would have had me do something foolish if it was among the mess that the fire left, would have become so rash that the idea of three banks in the ruins wouldn't have been a factor to how secure the site was.
I recently did a cruise ship market at Airlie and thought if I did well enough I could donate some cash to the Art Whitsunday Inc. to help get back on their feet. Wrong ship, they were heading to Hong Kong and onwards. Got great response and the top tip that they travel light. So I donated four souvenir panels and six pendants for their own fund raising stall the next day. Gave them the heads up to sell as low as they like. Hoping to start on two projects for the 29th Annual exhibition. Last year the judge, Chris Saines director of GOMA gave them the advise to open up to outsiders which is what is going to happen with five entries from each neighbouring region invited.
The insurance was basically indemnity insurance. I'm in the middle of developing platypus souvenir panels for Broken River in Eungella National Park and hoping that sales are good enough to get more Bullseye and tooling. peace, haydo
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

That is an eerie piece! Jen