Dried up

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

josie

Dried up

Post by josie »

I recently relocated. A lot of my stuff has been stored for a year. I have a set of TE marking pens and glassline enamels. both have dried up. any idea how best to rehydrate them?
josie

Re: Dried up

Post by josie »

will do. it is too bad. paints such as watercolor may be rehydrated. trying a bit of water in the Glassline bottle. if it works i may pry off the ends of the pens and add a drop or two.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Glassline needs to be shaken and or vibrated for ages and ages with the addition of water. This may help too..... [-o<
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I wouldn't add water. I'd add propylene glycol. Maybe soak the tips in the glycol.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
josie

Post by josie »

thanks for your replies
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

OK, Bert. Where can a normal person off of the street buy it in quantities less than 50 gal.?
Jim
Bert Weiss wrote:I wouldn't add water. I'd add propylene glycol. Maybe soak the tips in the glycol.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

jim simmons wrote:OK, Bert. Where can a normal person off of the street buy it in quantities less than 50 gal.?
Not hard to find. Amazon carries it.
josie

Post by josie »

isn't propylene glycol anti-freeze?
josie

Post by josie »

thanks jim. i think you are correct.
carol carson

Post by carol carson »

I've used Glassline for years and have always reconstitutes them with water, no matter how dried up they were, it worked.
josie

Post by josie »

i tried a little water and then fired a sample and it seems to have worked. now if i can get the pens reconstituted.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

How long did you have to shake it?
I just shook 2 bottles quite vigorously for 10 min. each with almost no reconstituting
Jim
josie

Post by josie »

not long at all. i used the blue. the rest are soaking to see if it makes a difference. this is the squeeze bottles, not the pens.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Shake is a general term.
A back massager has a second use in this case.
I must admit being tempted to fill a paint can with dried bottles well capped and taking them to a paint store for having a run through their paint mixer machine.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I talked with the Glassline folks a couple of years ago at the Glass Expo. They say to just add some water, let it sit overnight, and then "shake vigorously".

Dana W.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

That sounds like a heck of an idea. fill the spaces between the bottles with sand to keep them from moving.

Kevin Midgley wrote:Shake is a general term.
A back massager has a second use in this case.
I must admit being tempted to fill a paint can with dried bottles well capped and taking them to a paint store for having a run through their paint mixer machine.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

tape the caps on if you try it.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Ethylene glycol is regular antifreeze. Propylene glycol is non-toxic antifreeze often used to winterize RV's and heating systems. I buy it as food grade from bulk apothecary, online,

Recon requires a palette knife on a glass palette. I use a cake spreader that is pretty stiff for my palette knife, along with a smaller artist's one.

A medium consists of a vehicle and a binder. The glycol is the vehicle, and I use gum Arabic mixed with the powder for my binder. I'm sure there are other ways binders can be incorporated. I also mix in glycerine to slow down drying. (Glycol and glycerine both start with the same root glyc, so I assume they are first cousins).

I was taught to paint on small pieces of glass for stained glass windows. I had to adapt techniques to work on large pieces of glass. Slowing down the drying was the key to working large. I can put the glass in the kiln to dry it, if I need it dry right away. You can fire wet if the painted surface is on top. The glycol lowers the freezing point and raises the boiling point. The result of the higher boiling point allows for the paint to dry before it boils. This is really good for us, allowing us to fire wet paint without it messing up. If it were to boil, you would see visual result of the pigment moving around.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions