Sale of Spectrum

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Terry Gallentine

Sale of Spectrum

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I just received information about the sale of Spectrum to Oceanside Glasstile in Carlsbad CA. I guess they will producing some if not all of what was the Spectrum line in Tijuana. I was just wondering if anybody out there had any experience with this company.
AndyT

Re: Sale of Spectrum

Post by AndyT »

they've been around for 25+ years and produce some stunning tiles. They are/were one of Spectrum's largest customers. I have total faith that they will do a great job in producing spectrum glass. Production is set to begin sometime in the first quarter of 2017.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Here's the story about the curious way things have turned out.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-h ... story.html
Rest peacefully Boyce.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Huh... Boyce's nephew. That is a new twist I had not heard.

When I read the announcement several days ago, I thought of it as a "good news/bad news" scenario. I'm happy the Spectrum line will continue. I hate to see jobs leave the states, but at least it is a US company. Hopefully quality stays high and environmental impacts low.

Dana W.
Terry Gallentine

I agree that it really is a mix of good and bad. Any increased production of 96 is appreciated by me but I also told myself that I would never knowingly support a maquiladora type operation. If the main reason that they have their production facility located in Tijuana is low wages and minimal environmental standards, that is a problem for me.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

jim simmons wrote:That is NOT the main reason.
It is the ONLY reason. :>(
Jim
We all buy stuff made in Mexico, China, India and so forth. glass will be no exception. In the meantime, just got work that Uroboros will be closing in early 2017.
Terry Gallentine

Yesterday I received the information about Uroboro's closure. Since I use their frits in my work, I was to say the least dismayed. Today I was informed that the wholesaler that is in my area (Minneapolis/St. Paul) will be ending it's operations in December. It seems that there is a cascading effect occurring and no one is safe.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Heard story last week of small glass retailer who refused to sell 4 square feet of glass to a friend who wanted to do some more stained glass. Limit on purchases was 2 square feet due to the current supply turmoil.
Two questions: will the person wanting the 4 square feet wait a year and finally get to build the window?
will the small glass retailer be there in the year's time?
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Kevin Midgley wrote:Heard story last week of small glass retailer who refused to sell 4 square feet of glass to a friend who wanted to do some more stained glass. Limit on purchases was 2 square feet due to the current supply turmoil.
Two questions: will the person wanting the 4 square feet wait a year and finally get to build the window?
will the small glass retailer be there in the year's time?
As a retailer, I can say...that makes no sense at all.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

How many people own an iPhone?

Just sayin' :mrgreen:

Dana W.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Not I said the little red hen.
I will NOT EVER own a piece of "I" anything.
Just sayen
Jim
Terry Gallentine

Well for those of us located in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, the secondary effects of Spectrum and Uroboro's closing have come home. J. Ring our largest glass supplier and only wholesaler has announced it will be closing in December. With such a large portion of their suppliers being lost, I don't know if anyone is going to step in to buy the business. Perhaps someone will fill the void on a more limited scale. This means we have to go to either Chicago or Denver for the same amount of selection. Are there other similar scenarios occurring out there?
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

I,m with Jim..no phone, no I and no Mexican Glass. Bullseye will do it for Me
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Nitnelion

Post by Nitnelion »

Just watched a video from Oceanside Glass Tile's CEO. Sounds like they're planning to continue the entire Spectrum product and color line.

http://www.glasstile.com/spectrum/welcomespectrum.aspx
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

About 30 seconds into that video is a nice photo of a young Boyce Lundstrom

RIP Boyce.