kiln shelf

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

peterbr

kiln shelf

Post by peterbr »

As many of you know, it is hard to get the most surface area on a circle circle. i need more area to get some squares to fit. I am looking to make an octagon kiln shelf so I can fit a 9 inch square in my Skutt hotstart kiln. What material should I use? Fiber board, Vermiculite etc? What do I cut it with to make an octagon?
thanks in advance.
Peter
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: kiln shelf

Post by Brad Walker »

Fiber board (1" thick) will work fine. Cuts easily with an exacto blade or similar tool. Wear a mask or respirator.
peterbr

Post by peterbr »

Brad,
I have been using the mentioned 1 inch fiberboard. I find it crumbles some and leaves not the best backside. I have been using fiber paper. Would primo primer be a better option? Should I use a hardener to limit the crumbling? I have saws so cutting should be no problem if a better option than fiberboard is available. Thanks.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

High density fiber board will last much longer than the regular fiber board you've probably been using. (It's also more expensive)

You could use a fiber hardener to help the board last longer and not be as crumbly, but it's a mess to apply. It

Another option is vermiculite board. It will require fiber paper or thinfire on top and can warp if not supported well. The 2" thick board is better than the 1" in terms of warping. It can be cut with a wood saw.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Why does a skutt hot start need a shelf? Can you just put shelf paper on the bottom?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Don Burt wrote:Why does a skutt hot start need a shelf? Can you just put shelf paper on the bottom?
You could.