stencils for sanblasting - photoresist or vinyl cutter

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Smith

Re: stencils for sanblasting - photoresist or vinyl cutter

Post by Tony Smith »

Seachange,

You are correct. The entire sheet would be taped and transferred prior to weeding.

The second question gets back to the tack discussion. Larger pieces are much easier to weed off the backing sheet than off glass since the adhesive does stick quite well to glass.

Paint mask is a great way to go if you can get it. Like Rick said, it's tough, but has a light tack. You need to be careful that you don't get air under an edge or it could start to peel up the mask.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Buttercup wrote:Rick, soon I'll be looking for some more masking as my roll is running low. I went to the Avery site here and this is what they have in that category:

http://www.gamart.com.au/AslanMaskingFilms.aspx

Is one of these the product you use, please? Thanks Jen
I am not familiar with that brand "Aslan" here is a link to the product I use.

http://averyvinyl.com/A1828-S-WHITE-PAI ... A1828S.htm

I imagine the paint mask on your link would work well for smooth flat glass some of the other look interesting also.
Rick Wilton
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thank you very much, Rick. I've emailed the local Avery agent and asked if they carry that product .

I've also contacted 3M locally to see if they carry an equivalent product and they are going to send me a sample of something that might work.

I'll report back. jen
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

The Avery agent here says they have discontinued that product. If 3M can't help I'll see if I can have a look at the other Avery products.

I know someone will have something as sign shops use it for their plotters. Jen
seachange

Post by seachange »

Tony Smith wrote:Seachange,

You are correct. The entire sheet would be taped and transferred prior to weeding.

The second question gets back to the tack discussion. Larger pieces are much easier to weed off the backing sheet than off glass since the adhesive does stick quite well to glass.

Paint mask is a great way to go if you can get it. Like Rick said, it's tough, but has a light tack. You need to be careful that you don't get air under an edge or it could start to peel up the mask.

Tony
Hi Tony

Thank you for your reply. Apologies for the late reply, we went away for a few days (no internet, no phone connections). Then a flood of work and everything else on our return. Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile to take a break :evil: .

With best wishes, seachange
peter cummings

Post by peter cummings »

I ordered off line from this place near Frankston, Vic. Aus. Cheap enough, works and cleans off well, delivery was quick, but a bit of a price hit though. They have heaps of stuff and I found good to talk to when I called in a few year ago. http://www.conect.net.au/metamark-signmask-blue.html
peter cummings

Post by peter cummings »

Problem I have is I can't get the old greasy carbon paper, modern stuff won't "write" on these. I use cd pens or permanent markers or wax pencils, but would like a proper carbon type. Paid a lot for some flimsy yellow. Good luck Jen.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks Peter. Fortunately I still have quite a bit left. I checked the product in your link, quite pricey.

The 3M samples are not what I'm looking for. The adhesive is too strong and the non-adhesive surface is shiny, so not suitable for drawing on as you have found with the product you bought. I think the best bet will be the painting masking so I'll check that out...... will also see what signwriters are using in their plotters as those self-adhesive vinyl letters they can provide are made of the right stuff, at least those available in NA were. I frequently ordered lettering to use as masking for commercial commissions, rather than drawing then cutting by hand.

The matt surface of the 3M product I have is ideal. It takes artwork well, can be weeded off the glass easily but adheres well during the blasting process unless, as Tony points out, you get pressurized air under an edge. That's avoided by paying careful attention to the angle of the blast.

I may send a sample to the 3M rep so he knows what I'm looking for.

There are plenty of contact vinyls available but so far all I've found is 'Woodgrain' and 'Marble'. Not what I want.