annealing times

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

glaskrafter

annealing times

Post by glaskrafter »

I'm presently doing a fair amount of open face casting. Large salmon that I've scheduled at 2.5 inches. They run 1.5" to 2" thick at the thickest part to 1/4 inch at the thinnest, 24" long X 6" tall. This is very successful. I've noticed that the Bullseye pyramids, although 6" square at the base and 4" tall are scheduled for 2" thick.
I've some larger castings in mind and was curious if anybody has simple way to calculate annealing/cooling time for irregular shaped castings.
Kevin Midgley

Re: annealing times

Post by Kevin Midgley »

You could just get yourself over to Tofino for a study of a copy of Stone's book and discussion of the actual molds and your firing conditions.
I'd be more than happy to help you out.
glaskrafter

Post by glaskrafter »

Thanks Kevin, go to the wick or down to Ucluelet, Signy's gallery and you can see what I'm doing. Give me a reference to this Stone's book you refer to.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Well therein likes the problem.
Stone's book does have tons of schedules but you can't just use them without more understanding than being able to copy the timings into a kiln controller.
The bottoms of the pages give you an understanding of what is going on and from that you are able to base your personalized for your molds and kilns schedules.
Thus my suggestion of getting together although you have been pretty successful at what you are doing so if it isn't broken what is there to fix?
I will email you.