Stand for Sconce

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

josie

Stand for Sconce

Post by josie »

I'm looking for a table top stand for a sconce the size of Bullseye's sconce mold. Any suggestions?
Vonon

Re: Stand for Sconce

Post by Vonon »

How do you want to display it? Will it have a light/candle behind it so it would be like a wall sconce but on a table top like a tea light would be? Maybe you are wanting to just display the glass on edge like the S curve molded glass. What type of thing you are looking for?
Vonon
josie

Post by josie »

If I could find a fixture that was electrified, like a wall unit but for the table, that would be great. Otherwise it would be on edge with or without a candle. That would be stabilized and make it a display. Thanks
linn keller

Post by linn keller »

hi josie,
try looking at ikea, especially if there i a store near you. you can check the actual base(s) for some of the table lamps to see size, stability, etc. i suggest them because they had (have?) a wall sconce that actually fits the bullseye sconce mold so you use the base and just substitute your glass....but for a table lamp, esp. if you're looking for stability, i'd think you'd want to check actual fixture. also, ikea won't ship lighting fixtures in many states, so you'd have to pick up in person.
some of the numerous online lighting places may have lighting that will be on a good-for-you base.
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
josie

Post by josie »

Thanks, I am not near an Ikea store. The person this is going to is, he may be able to take it to the store and fit it and then give me some feedback. :-D
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

How about stabilizing it on a base of wood (or other material such as granite scrap) and placing one of those battery operated candles behind it. They give a nice soft glow or flicker like a candle. Nice look with no wiring or proximity to outlet required.
one type:
https://www.amazon.com/Homemory-Realist ... dle+lights
Vonon
josie

Post by josie »

Thanks also a nice idea.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I have a tutorial where I have made a base with glass:

http://jestersbaubles.blogspot.com/2016 ... hield.html

Best, Dana W.
josie

Post by josie »

Sweet. I had two disks from a light fixture that would have been perfect. I've used them in another project. I'll keep my eye out for more.
Thanks