3D printer to glass casting

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

roykirk

3D printer to glass casting

Post by roykirk »

I doubt I'm the first one to try this technique, but I thought I'd share it here. The workflow was to take a model I printed on my 3D printer, then use the plastic model to make a mold out of plaster (50% POP/50% silica flour). Then I used glass scrap to fill the mold and fire in the kiln to about 1650 F for 30 minutes. I think they turned out quite well for my first attempt:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QZgU6 ... DJHHK6FNvl

The main problem I see is that thus far the molds seem to be single use. Once they're fired to casting temperature they essentially disintegrate once they cool and are handled in any way. Perhaps that's unavoidable? It does, however, make it easy to get the glass out!
Judd

Re: 3D printer to glass casting

Post by Judd »

For POP, yeah it's a one time mold. But, you got your plastic positive. You can always make more molds.
We cast bottle glass in the school pottery kiln at Cone 05. After the fire, those molds are toast.
Buttercup

Re: 3D printer to glass casting

Post by Buttercup »

Roykirk, Sounds as though you need a different recipe for your mold mix. Put 'Mold mix for casting' into the search field at the top of the page and you'll get lots of good info.( Nefertiti looks pretty spiffy! )Good luck, Jen