Glass with ceramic inclusion?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Chloe White

Glass with ceramic inclusion?

Post by Chloe White »

Hello,
I'm new to this group and to glass. But I'm hoping to find out if it's possible to combine ceramic and glass by casting glass with fired ceramic inclusions. (I am primarily a ceramic sculptor.) However, I have seen it done successfully.

My first experiments have shown me that there's probably something mismatched in the expansion and contraction of materials, as the glass fractured anywhere that it surrounded the ceramic; the rest of the glass looked fine. Is it something that could be addressed by a different firing schedule? We used a standard bullseye schedule.

Does anyone have experience of doing this? I know I am possibly trying to run before I can walk... is it impossible?

Thanks, Chloe
Kevin Midgley

Re: Glass with ceramic inclusion?

Post by Kevin Midgley »

You have seen it done successfully.
Well have you seen the same piece still successfully together with no cracking a year or more later?

Glass has the ability to show the errors in compatibility a long long time after an item has been made.

I was given a piece years ago that was disintegrating. Still is. Looked great when it was first made.

I keep it as an example of incompatibility and a reminder of what can happen.
Chloe White

Post by Chloe White »

Hi Kevin,
Well, I'm assuming the pieces I've seen have lasted. I can't actually know for sure. In particular I'm thinking of work I've seen by Christina Bothwell who I believe makes quality, lasting work. Google her... you'll see what I mean
Peter McCarthy

Post by Peter McCarthy »

Are you sure Christina Bothwell's work has ceramic inclusions? It looks to me like cast glass attached to stone and ceramic, and any inclusions are differently-colored glass.
Chloe White

Post by Chloe White »

No, I'm not 100% sure... that could be, Peter. I see pieces where she clearly attaches clay and glass together after the firings. However, I see some pieces which look to be ceramic within glass such as her fish and mermaids pieces... do those also look like glass within glass to you? I'm sorry not be able to figure out how to upload specific photos here
Peter McCarthy

Post by Peter McCarthy »

I'm guessing, too. You should ask her.