glassline paint and powdered frit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

raphy

glassline paint and powdered frit

Post by raphy »

I have question. I normally "paint" with powdered frit and was wanting to paint with glassline paints and powdered frit together. Can I layer the frit on top of the paint, or layer it on a separate piece of glass then fuse together at the end which would seem to be the best way. The question would be what fusing schedule would I use. Would my normal fuse schedule for my powdered frit harm the painted layer? ( I would fuse the paint first before layering). I followed this schedule for glassline, my schedule for powdered frit in three layers would be this.

Powdered frit in three layers schedule
1. 300 1215 2.00
2. 100. 1490 :20
3.9999 910 2.00
4. 100 750 :15
5 .200 100 0

Glassline paint schedule

1. 450 800 20
2. 450 1100 20
3. 600 1475 12
4. 9999 900 60
thank you for any help forthcoming. I cant find which email I used when I set this up but it is ruthysusss@yahoo.com
Ruth
Barry Kaiser

Re: glassline paint and powdered frit

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Without sounding flip, I just treat paints as glass. That's pretty much what they are.
Do your normal firing for the rest of the piece and it should turn our fine.

The only caveat is if the maturing temperature of Glassline is above the temperature you fire at. For obvious reasons I am not familiar with their properties, but for just about all other paints, you need not worry about adjusting things for the paints.

Barry
raphy

Post by raphy »

Thank you so much.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Ralphy - Barry steered you correctly. I do a lot of this for scenic pieces. I usually do the opposite of what you propose - I fire my powdered frit first, then go over it with the Glassline to either add details or firm up the look of the area. You may want to experiment with the GL first :-k - it looks opaque when dry but thin layers will often disappear almost completely, a powder layer might totally obliterate it. :idea: When dry but not fired you can scratch it away to make lines, leaf veins,etc.,exposing your underlying material/color "sgraffito". And stir well, the solids settle, which acerbates the "it looked opaque but disappeared" :( effect. Don't be afraid to do 2 coats.
:!: Below 1440(or so) firings it looks matte and often unattractive (yellow is blech), higher brings out the gloss. But it will be permanent @1350+
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I am just finishing a piece that I did by fusing frits in first for atmospheric effects and then using paints for imagery. My paints mature at 1350 instead of 1440 though. My frit fuse fire must be high enough to yield a really smooth surface since I am screen printing my image on after fuse firing and any surface roughness would be bad for laying down a good image.