fixing a crack on a tack fused/ slumped piece

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

GetGlassy

fixing a crack on a tack fused/ slumped piece

Post by GetGlassy »

I have a piece that cracked on cool down slump. The crack edges are sharp but only cracked halfway down.
The piece is 13x6" 2 layers of clear with bubble powder and powder frit in between full fused. Decorations and frit tack fused on top. It was then slumped on a large stainless steel s-curve. It is pretty thick in spots where the decorations are and crack between 2 heavier areas on the top of the s-curve.

If I slump it flat again I can add some stringers or frit over the crack and take it back up to a tack fuse and the slump again.

Is there a way to repair it that I haven't thought of?

If I slump flat will there be any issues with the glass moving?

BTW I'm pretty sure it was a thermal shock problem. I peaked in at what I thought was 100 F but later realized it was still at 180F. Glasses would have helped (DUH)

TIA
Patti
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: fixing a crack on a tack fused/ slumped piece

Post by Brad Walker »

Looks to me like it was annealing, not necessarily thermal shock. Annealing cracks are typically S-shaped and don't go all the way through. Pieces with variations in thickness require a longer anneal than pieces that are smoother.

But either way, you can fuse it flat to hide the crack with frit, etc.. That will distort your design and shape some. You may also have to fire to a full fuse to totally heal the piece. Just be sure that whatever you do you fire up slower than normal and anneal for longer than normal.
GetGlassy

Re: fixing a crack on a tack fused/ slumped piece

Post by GetGlassy »

Thanks Brad
I'm going to try. Since it isn't a function piece, I'm going to just try to cover the crack with more frit and stringers.
Patti