Where is the iridescent 96?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marian

Where is the iridescent 96?

Post by Marian »

Oceanside Glass doesn't appear to be manufacturing any iridized glass. Anyone have insight on that?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Where is the iridescent 96?

Post by Brad Walker »

I believe Uroboros did the coatings on Spectrum's irid. I suspect it's not yet a priority for Oceanside.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Brad Walker wrote:I believe Uroboros did the coatings on Spectrum's irid. I suspect it's not yet a priority for Oceanside.
I was at Spectrum years ago and watched them iridized glass with a spray arm going back and forth as the glass came out of the rollers. I think Oceanside has bitten off more than they can chew. some of the clears are terrible.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

AndyT wrote:I was at Spectrum years ago and watched them iridized glass with a spray arm going back and forth as the glass came out of the rollers. I think Oceanside has bitten off more than they can chew. some of the clears are terrible.
Spectrum would iridize their stained glass, which burns off in the kiln. For iridizing for fusible glass (uses more hazardous chemicals) it requires a different setup, which was done at Uroboros.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Decades ago before the days of 96, Spectrum made a wonderful irridized product on Baroque glass.
So I bought a crate of it.
Fired it up low temperature and made vases which can still occasionally be seen for resale online.
However I would not have bought that glass if I had known prior to delivery that the crate would have a sticker on the outside saying 'this product may damage the ozone layer'.

Irridization processes such as used by small glass blowing studios may still do the same
Undoubtedly the current glass makers want to avoid the issues.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Brad Walker wrote:
AndyT wrote:I was at Spectrum years ago and watched them iridized glass with a spray arm going back and forth as the glass came out of the rollers. I think Oceanside has bitten off more than they can chew. some of the clears are terrible.
Spectrum would iridize their stained glass, which burns off in the kiln. For iridizing for fusible glass (uses more hazardous chemicals) it requires a different setup, which was done at Uroboros.
I don't see how Uro could iridize any of Spectrum's fusible glass being it has to be done while the glass is hot. Uro iridized their own
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Apropros of nothing so far said.....years ago Merry-go-round glass made a beautiful white irid. It had a subtle finish, not garish, just a soft pearl-like finish. They are no longer in production.

https://libanswers.cmog.org/faq/144718
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Merrygoround glass had a wonderful orange/red opal with irridized oil slick finish that when fired, came out in one piece but crumbled when touched. The joys of early kiln work with incomplete knowledge of the glasses or the firing characteristics. The irid survived nicely wrinkled but that was it.
Then there was Canadian Art Glass out of Calgary also defunct despite their low fuel costs.
Glass companies come and go but now, mostly go.