Float Glass Reco Needed for Decals

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Melissa Terman

Float Glass Reco Needed for Decals

Post by Melissa Terman »

Hi,

Note: I only have experience using Bullseye Glass for fusing.

I have a student/friend who wants to make small windows for her dollhouse using fusible decals for a pattern. She needs the glass to remain thin (3mm) and smooth. Can't bring Tekta to a full fuse to get it smooth for decal placement as it will not be the right shape and thickness when fired. I was thinking she could use float glass instead as long as she doesn't contaminate my Bullseye stock. Can someone recommend a company to buy thin float glass from (small quantities) that also might provide annealing temp. I don't have a lot of time to figure out the annealing temperatures of unknown glass, plus I don't have the experience.

Thank you,

Melissa Terman
Teaching Artist in NYC
Melissa Terman
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Float Glass Reco Needed for Decals

Post by Brad Walker »

Annealing for float is 1100F. For thin glass you wouldn't need to hold any longer than 15 minutes or so.

You can buy thin float at just about any hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) or any place that sells glass for windows or shelving.

Make sure she buys a decal that matures at a relatively low temperature (1150 to 1200F or so) so you don't distort the thin glass when firing.
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

That's great information, thank you! Another question. Can you use bullseye frit on float glass? she wants to make an appearance of snow on the window. We did it with single layer 3mm bullseye without distortion to 1420F. Does the float act differently at that temperature?

Is there some basic printed material or video you can recommend for learning more about the properties of float glass for fusing?

Melissa Terman
Teaching Artist NYC
Melissa Terman
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

No, you can't use Bullseye frit on float glass. But you can buy float compatible frit. There are several suppliers, try Armstrong Glass.

Float fires a bit hotter than Bullseye. But it can devitrify easily.

What was wrong with the Bullseye?
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

smoothness was the issue for the decals and the frit combined with keeping glass 3mm thick. You have to tack fuse frit quickly and at a lower temperature because it's so small and thin. We don't get to the higher temperature needed to get it smooth. I thought I had read that you could add small surface decoration of different glass (i.e., enamels) and it wouldn't be an issue of compatibility when fusing and annealing. But I don't have any experience with this as I'm not a painter and never tried enamels.
Melissa Terman
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Two firings. One to smooth out the Bullseye glass and a second one with the frit.

Some enamels can give you compatibility problems (i.e, Thompson), some are fine regardless of glass used (i.e., Ferro Sunshine).
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Sounds like an ideal application for a glass painting approach rather than a fusing approach. Get a quill pen, put some stained glass paint in a little bit of oil, and draw the stuff on the piece of glass. Fire to 1250F and the piece stays the shape and thickness originally cut. I don't know what brand of decals you like to buy, but maybe those decals don't need to be fired so hot. Are you considering using very thin glass like for picture framing ...like 2mm? That stuff isn't always float...in that it doesn't have a tin side to activate my stains, darn it. But I don't know what its expansion characteristics are either.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Assuming the dollhouse won't be going in the dishwasher, if you buy picture frames at a charity shop and remove the glass you'll have thin, cheap glass. The frit could be glued on. That's not something I'd ever do with a piece of art glass but, along with the decals, might achieve the look your friend wants without having to invest in enamels and brushes and pens and learning how to use them.

EDIT : I see you want 3 mil. not 2 mil so any glass supplier will have that. Some smaller companies don't carry 2 mil but can easily get it for you that's why I suggested the charity shop approach.